Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the process of re doing a completely gutted 66 chevelle i was gonna start withthe head liner and work my way down is that a good way to go ?
i got the insluation for the roof but its shape's arent exact matches does this stuff just get glued in place or does it get tucked in ...
next the bows for the headliner to slip in to how do i get them out they are in place now is there any trick to this ive been messing with them but dont wanna bedn them or do any thing stupid and mess them um unless there is no exact way to get um out
but once ive got the headliner sliped threw the bows where does the rest of the headliner go it all gets tucked in and stay in plcae with them molding and hows the dome light work do i cut a small hole in the material for the wire to go threw and how does it stay up is there some kind of bracket i might be missing its kinda hard since there was nuthign in it at all when i bought it and cant look back and remember how i took it apart.
and how do you go about doing the sail panals
i got an idea how every thing goes but as for the sail plnals im kinda lost

sorry for the long post but i hope you guys can help
i dont want to pay 300 bucks for my local auto place to do the headliner
i know i can do it i just need some hints and help
thanks guys .

·
Registered
764 Posts
On my 66, I purchased the headliner material from a resto company, and the local upholstery shop put it in for around $100. It was money well spent, as they were very familiar with the job. It looked great, and I am very fussy.

just my $0.02

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
The insulation gets glued to the roof. You don't want it coming down and touching your headliner.
I think I rotated the bows down and then squeezed them until they released. Mark the holes that are used by each bow and keep them in order. Then go and put screws in your visor mounts, rear view mirror bracket, dome light mounts, and coat hooks. You can find them through the headliner later and cut a slit to get them out. If their not there, good luck finding the screw holes. Now slip the bows through the sleeves. You will need to cut back the sleeve a little on each side. The bows will tell you how far to cut(3" - 4"). Locate your center bow that gets locked down to the roof by bending those little tabs back on it. Install the rest of the bows. Then pull it to the front center and clip. Pull it tight to the center rear and clip. Pull each side tight in the middle. Now you have to stretch and glue. This is where it gets tricky. Use some of those big office supply paper clips to help hold it. Once your happy with it, trim the excess off the edges. The sail panel simply get covered with the extra material they give you. It helps to have a helper. As Red mentioned above, it's tricky. If you don't feel comfortable with it bring to a pro. If you do amature work you will get amature results.
Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts