Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is off to the painter in another couple weeks and I'm trying to get my game plan worked out for puting it all back together...What is the best time to put the headliner back in the car? I'm thinking before any seats or glass is back in. If you have done this let me know what worked for you, and what you might have done different.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Definitely put it in before the windows and seats. It will be much easier to stretch and pull it in place by reaching through the open windows.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
RC,

I've done numerous headliners and if the car is completely torn down (and it sounds like it is) the headliner is the best thing to put back into the interior first.

As previously stated it is much easier to reach into the interior and properly stretch the headliner without any glass in the way. It also prevents damage and trampling to seats, carpet, etc. if you do it first (imagine trying to crawl over seats and stuff to put in a headliner).

One thing I like to do...

Before I put the adhesive down to hold the headliner in place around the edges, I like to hold it down with those black binder clips that are used for holding paper items together (kind of a complicated paper clip). That way I can adjust it and get the headliner perfectly balanced before the adhesive is applied. Once you have it balance and stretched, unclip one side at a time (e.g. front header area) and apply the adhesive in that area only. I wait for that side to dry and then I do another side.

Now granted it takes me about 3 days to put in a headliner but I'm meticulous like that and nobody has ever been disappointed by the results.

Bill

------------------
"It's not about the loss of money, It's about the love of the car!"

·
Registered
162 Posts
I did my first one using the mentioned binder clips and contact cement. It looked great but I found the contact cement a little messy to work with. Is there a better and easier adhesive to use?

------------------
Kevin Barry
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Green Mist/Dark Green Top

·
Registered
934 Posts
What do you guys use to stretch the headliner? Is there a tool for this? Also, just how much tension are we talking about. I really want to try doing this one day and am trying to get all the facts.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Check out my website:
Bobs 409 Chevy Page

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was going to try a canvas stretching tool that is used to stretch canvas on frames for painting. Now I just wish I had read this post before putting my windows back in.

·
Registered
543 Posts
take and measure the center of the headliner and mark with chalk. measure and mark the back window frame (window is out) find center. then get the bows in the right order and hang the headliner. start from the front and work your way back, stretch with your hands (careful with that awful glue, do not get it on the finish side). a co-worker helped me on a labor exchange deal (fence building for interior help, he was 20 year bodyman) and I can tell you this: spend the $175 and have a professional trim shop do it. money well spent BUT why not wait until paint shop is done so no overspray on your new headliner

[This message has been edited by leeds (edited 11-09-2000).]

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys. I will definitely have the auto trim guys put the headliner in and will do it first before anything else is put back in the car. Some good technical info though but like leeds said probably mone well spent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts