·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get instruction on hoe to install a new headliner....Thanks...Mark

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
For as little as it costs to have a pro put in, I would bet you would never be happy with the end result of a first time install.

Rocky Hill

------------------
A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

My66SS

·
Registered
874 Posts
When I put in my headliner and recovered the sailpanels in my '67 it took most of a saturday to get it done.I started with the middle bow and worked each way,It did turn out real nice and tight but I probably don't have the patients to do it again.
------------
Brett
'67
SS396
clone

·
Registered
543 Posts
You get instructions with the kit, get the pre-glued sail panels. I started from the windshield and worked back, it was nice having the back window out. But do yourself a favor and pay the $175 or whatever to have it done in a trim shop! I'll never do another one (although they say it gets easier)

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Tripleblack68SS,

I was first time installer. I didn't see it as difficult as I initially thought. I got quotes from 250 - 325 for this. I figured I could mess up and do it a couple times for that much.
I tore out all old material. Sunvisors, belts, etc. Put all screws for these items back in a small amount once the items are removed. This will allow you to feel the screw under the material when your done.

Mark the position of your bows. This is very important. I layed the new headliner on top of the car and fed the bows through one at a time. Clean glue off old rails in side. I then hung the headliner in the car. I held the edges of the headliner temporarily with those black clamping clips you find in office supply places. I then went around a second time pulling the material tight. Doesn't take alot of pulling. Then I marked the edge of the rails w/chalk so I could trim away excess material. Leave an inch or so to fold behind the rail and catch on the hooks. I started glueing at the front. Then I glued the back. Then I glued the sides, and finally the sails. Only had a couple places where use of heat gun was necessary.
Replace removed items by running a razor blade over covered screws, and you should be good to go.
Mine turned out fine and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Hope this has been of help.

------------------
Chris
TC Member #631

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris,Thank you for the info I may try it if they try to charge me $300. The headliner is still in and isnt to bad but I touched it and almost poked right through.This being a California car shes pretty brittle.....Mark

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Trippleblack,

I did mine first time. Came out pretty good. I only have one slight wrinkle near a shoulder belt mount. The instructions say the liner will shrink over time so I expect this to go away. When you pull your old liner out, do not pull the rods out of it. Lay the old one next to the new one and transfer them then. Get some GOOD contact cement. Stuff I had was from year one and dried too fast. I also went to office max and got some of those spring type paper clips. I bought a whole box, maybe 20 and used them to temporarly clamp the liner in place until the contact cement set up. Worked great.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I also installed mine and it went fine. Had a few wrinkles but they all went away in the hot summer sun. I won't be afraid to tackle the next one. The best part is when my friends, who insisted that headliner installation has to be done by the pros, sit down and look at it......."you did that!!?"

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I also installed mine and it went fine. Had a few wrinkles but they all went away in the hot summer sun. I won't be afraid to tackle the next one. The best part is when my friends, who insisted that headliner installation has to be done by the pros, sit down and look at it......."you did that!!?"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts