Chevelles.com banner

41 - 60 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
I just finished mine tonight. Second one I've done. This one was a total BI$%^.
Seems the headliner was sitting in the box for over 4 yrs. It's got creases where all the folds were from being in the box.. I got most of it out and think by next summer the rest will disapear. Chris I noticed you had some too in your pics. I've used a hair dryer which seemed to help but I was afraid of melting the damn stuff. If you leave all the screws in their proper location it's much easier to find them once it's in place. Just use a razor blade and trim them out to remove and install, EXAMPLE sun visors, seat belt holders etc....

I use this trick when recovering seats... Works really good.

Randy B...
69 chevelle SS
67 camaro RS/SS

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Thanks Chris! Nice tip using the clips to hold the head liner. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
thanx for the great detail i will remember that for when i do my headliner in a couple of months:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
305 Posts
what a great contribution to the forum.

awesome tutorial/pictorial! thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
hey chris thanks a bunch!!! i wanted to do my own to save money, but was scared to ruin my brand new headliner. what did you guys do for the sail panels? my interior is completly out.. thanks again chris! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
hey chris thanks a bunch!!! i wanted to do my own to save money, but was scared to ruin my brand new headliner. what did you guys do for the sail panels? my interior is completly out.. thanks again chris! :thumbsup:

YOu should have extra material for the sail panels. You can get the hard backings from a supplier and then use a good adhesive and cover them. I used the super trim adhesive (the stuff used for vinyl tops. Super 77 doesn NOT hold up for very long)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Chris, I got this link from someone over on the V8Buick board. Good to share some GM A-Body info :thumbsup: Like a lot of folks here, I was apprehensive about doing this job on my Gran Sport by myself for the first time. Someone was also mentioning shock when they were quoted an install at a shop. I'm there! A local shop quoted me $450 :eek: That's when I started thinking about doing it myself again, given the kit is barely a hundred bucks. After reading your post and the fact my glass and interior are out, I'm going to call and order a kit this weekend. Thanks again.

Craig
http://justanothertoy.com/

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hey Chris, I got this link from someone over on the V8Buick board. Good to share some GM A-Body info :thumbsup: Like a lot of folks here, I was apprehensive about doing this job on my Gran Sport by myself for the first time. Someone was also mentioning shock when they were quoted an install at a shop. I'm there! A local shop quoted me $450 :eek: That's when I started thinking about doing it myself again, given the kit is barely a hundred bucks. After reading your post and the fact my glass and interior are out, I'm going to call and order a kit this weekend. Thanks again.

Craig
http://justanothertoy.com/

You'll have no problem at all. I tried not to leave out any critical steps. Just get it in there, dont cut too much, and 'work it' tight and glue down with the clips to hold it in position. Thats pretty much all you have to remember!

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
There are some readers that questioned the situation of what happens when you don't mark the holes that the bows came out of? I took mine out in 1999 knew I should have marked them, but have ahd the car in paint for almost a year and don't have any clue where they go. WHAT DO I DO?

·
Registered
673 Posts
There are some readers that questioned the situation of what happens when you don't mark the holes that the bows came out of? I took mine out in 1999 knew I should have marked them, but have ahd the car in paint for almost a year and don't have any clue where they go. WHAT DO I DO?
I did the same thing. just take the bows and go inside the car, and move them around till the "fit" you will see where they go once you try putting them in place.

·
Registered
213 Posts
bubba,
if i could share one tip, instead of using your feet to push the bow into the clip take a visegrip and squeze the rod into the plastic clip. you won't push on your roof and new paint job and you won't believe how smooth it goes in. by the way your liner looks great ! i'm still fine tuning mine.
What i did was take a small piece of wood ..1x2 and measured it to length and made a simple lever -one easy push and it went right in ..
I also put a little heat in the car and closed all the windows ..and it was even easier to work with ..As stated great layout ...:hurray::beers:

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
This is SO cool!! Ive been intimidated on doing mine and dont want to take the car to a shop and leave it.

Ill take the rods outta mine and give it a shot.

THanks for the write up and pics!!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
How do you get the rods out.
all the interior is gone and I have been looking at the rods for 3 years. Every time I monkey with them I get no ware.
Does one side come out first?

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Great post Chris.
I have a question, I installed my headliner a few years back and it turned out good except for the back at the sail panel location. I took my sail panels off the other day to try and make it look better. I am afraid I didn't suceed :(
I am having a heck of a time getting the material to look decent. I am always ending up with wrinkles. How did you stretch and hold the headliner here?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
There should be enough material that covers the holes for the sail panel clips. The guy that installed my headliner pulled the headliner tight and pushed just the clips into the holes through the material.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Excellent writeup Chris... I did upholstery work of all types for many years and do the chevelle top very similar to what you do. Only thing I wanted to add is I feel the best glue to use on headliners is Landau Top glue made by Weldwood. (I'm sure there are others... I feel it is the best strength glue you can use. I spray it on when I do the modern type headliners but it works well brushed on too. Also if you guys do your own you will probably get a few small wrinkles but don't sweat it too much as most will come out after a few days in the sun.

41 - 60 of 280 Posts