Chevelles.com banner

21 - 40 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
I tried to glue it to the headliner and that didn't work. I didn't know if I could use some padding in between the bows and glue it to the rood and then get the new headliner to glue to that and if it will hold or not.
Eric,
I'm planning to do a custom headliner too, and have ordered a stock replacement and will either sew the new fabric to it (at each bow seam) or use the stock one as a pattern for the custom one. I wouldn't trust glue to hold much for very long, unless you were going direct to metal or board.
-Bill
(BTW -still looking for those glue strips next to the windshield :) )

·
Registered
137 Posts
Eric,
I'm planning to do a custom headliner too, and have ordered a stock replacement and will either sew the new fabric to it (at each bow seam) or use the stock one as a pattern for the custom one. I wouldn't trust glue to hold much for very long, unless you were going direct to metal or board.
-Bill
(BTW -still looking for those glue strips next to the windshield :) )
:hurray: I still have my stock strips for the windows. I'm now planing on glueing some actuall cpt pad. to the metal roof. then glueing card board the the pad to cover up the bows and then glueing the tweed. crossing my fingers and hoping this works. I don't think the 140+ mph passes I make in the car will help it stay either.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Awsome write up Chris!, This is going to help alot of us. :beers:

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
That was a good job Chris, and very informative, headliners are not easy to do a good job, plus you took the time to write it up and good pictures, appreciate you putting this on. I learned some things here.:thumbsup:

Rob

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,955 Posts
If you try this do yourself a favor and pull the seats. It was just a ton easier for me that way.

I had a glass guy living across the street from me, he came over and pulled the glass. Much easier, I was installing a new windshield and the rear glass needed to be re-installed anyway. The old tar strip was leaking between the tar and the window. Guy installed them both with some kind of urethane in a caulk gun. Wouldn't work for a show car but great for mine, it's a daily driver.

I bought over 100 of those little clips, they're perfect.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Chris, great job, i too was going to farm this job out until i heard how much it would cost. Can you tell me where you got your headliner?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
OUTSTANDING WRITE UP!

I'm looking at doing the headliner myself, I've not attempted one before, so I am very cautious. And the only interior shop in town wants $400!!! :noway:

Can anyone post a pic/pics of the proper locations for the headliner bows? Also, are all five bows of the thick diameter?

I have four thick ones and a thin one (goes right over the dome light).

I have done sooo much kustom work and having had the interior in and out so many times, I just don't know for certain where everything is supposed to go. :confused: The car does have the bows in the same locations that the last interior shop had them installed in. Though that was about eight years ago, they have not been moved since then.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm assuming your old headliner is vinyl. If so, wipe it first with acetone or lacquer thinner. Not too much but enough to strip it of any oils such as armor-all. I will also assume that you do not have a glue spraying gun, so use 3M SUPER TRIM ADHESIVE Spray can. Spay the glue on both surfaces and wait until it gets tacky before applying one to another. You can also buy it by the quart and brush it but it's messy and can easily bleed through cloth. 3M 77 or 90 or any that comes in the black cans will not work for what you are trying to do. The key to glue on most any soft trim is contact glue, and clean surfaces. Use on both surfaces and let set before you stick.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Chris, I just tackled my headliner today. I would of paid someone again if it wasnt for your write up and pictures. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
bubba,
if i could share one tip, instead of using your feet to push the bow into the clip take a visegrip and squeze the rod into the plastic clip. you won't push on your roof and new paint job and you won't believe how smooth it goes in. by the way your liner looks great ! i'm still fine tuning mine.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
A tip for 67 owners. on a 67 the center BOW is just a piece of wire held in by bending metal tabs over. Pry the metal tabs open with a screwdriver and remove the wire. Insert it into the headliner. This has to be the 1st Bow to go back in!!
Center it up and push the wire and material under the tabs and bend them back down. To clarify, on a 67 you start in the middle, otherwise you can't bend the tabs back over.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My God Chris,

You answered my very first question in this forum.

What do you do if the windows are still in? Also, any tips are being sure the bows are in the right place? My headliner has been our for over 5 years while refinishing the interior. I am hoping I stored the old headliner in a roll with the bows, but not positive until I find them under the other zillion boxes of parts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Since it appears that several readers have also installed their own headliners, I was wondering if anyone has included soundproofing materials? A Malibu hardtop is rather noisy cruising at about 100 mph (especially if it is raining) and I thought a soundproofing material might really cut down the wind noise. Enough even to listen to the old AM radio stations. :confused:

Any suggestions appreciated. As I understand, the heavy soundproofing for the sides of the car body will not work on the top. Originally the car had some worthless panels glued in that eventually fell apart into dust.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice write up. I am getting ready to do my 69 SS and this will definately help. Thank you.

Matt

·
Registered
13,791 Posts
Chris, I ahve a couple of questions. Thanks for the write-up first of all.

1st, you set ALL the bows in place then clamp it down correct?

When gluing this thing on, you just take a couple of clips off at a time a glue the corresponding area, and repeat for the other clipped areas right? So its take clip off, glue, clip back on...and go to next clip right?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Chris, I ahve a couple of questions. Thanks for the write-up first of all.

1st, you set ALL the bows in place then clamp it down correct?

When gluing this thing on, you just take a couple of clips off at a time a glue the corresponding area, and repeat for the other clipped areas right? So its take clip off, glue, clip back on...and go to next clip right?
Im sorry, i actually put the bows in from back to front and clamped them in once i put them in. about the glueing, i would take off about 6-8 inch section of clamps, glue, then put clamps back on.

·
Registered
13,791 Posts
Excellent - thanks Chris.

·
Registered
24 Posts
im new to team chevelle, just started my 70 restore a few months ago, question is, can i print your info on headliners from website or could you send it to me?

21 - 40 of 280 Posts