Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks...I need some advice regarding headliner installation on my 70' Malibu. I have ordered a kit from Year One and am calling some interior shops to get some estimates on installing it. One well known shop has told me that they had to remove the rear glass on a 72' Chevelle to install a new headliner and the tech folks at Y1 have told me that this isn't neseccary on my car.

The difference in cost is $250 (remove rear glass) verses $80 (just headliner install) for labor. Does anyone know for sure whether or not the rear window has to be removed in order to install a new headliner on a vinyl-topped 70' Malibu? I plan to swing the car by this shop for an estimate but I want to be prepared with some knowledge on the subject. Thanks in advance for the feedback

------------------

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Just had one done on a 70SS and did not have to remove rear window.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I had a PUI headliner from Ausley's installed on my 70 Malibu, hard top by a local trim shop. Labor to install was 'round $100.00 with new sail boards. I know they did not need to pull the rear glass.

I don't see a vinyl top coming in to play here?

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu
[email protected]
www.wright.edu/~s001dga/chevy.htm

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
The rear window out would make it easier, but since it sounds like you are leaving this to a professional, a respectable interior/trim shop should be able to do it with the glass still in without a problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
My daughter and I just put a Muscle Factory kit in her 72. We both heard all the horror stories. No, you do not need to take the rear window out, sounds to me like someone is blowing smoke up your ***. The two of us did it on a WARM afternoon in about 3 hours. It was a lot easier than we expected and came out perfect. We're even still talking to each other.
Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.