Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a 69 malibu. I need to install a headliner. I have the headliner with rods. Now, is there foam or anything that goes between the roof and headliner? Any info about installing this would help. Thanks guys

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,593 Posts
There is an insulation mat that is glued to the underside of the roof sheetmetal. It is available from the Chevelle resto parts houses. It's necessary to insulate against noise, heat/cold, etc. and to help stiffen the roof to prevent "oilcanning" IMO.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
what is oil canning

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I believe the reference to "oil canning" is that when an oil can (these are not made anymore as they are all made of plastic nowadays)is squashed, it has to be "popped" back out to its original shape. Sometimes they do not quite exactly pop out back top their original shape. Apply those thoughts to your roof. My guess... Anyone else help oput with the reference von made to oil canning. von? You'd be the best to answer this.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,593 Posts
Well, my understanding of oil canning is just as you said, the flexing of a rounded sheetmetal surface in and out. Usually leaves creases at the edges and doesn't pop all the way back out. With a roof it would be like standing on it and caving it in, then getting under it and trying to push it back out. Happens on hoods sometimes too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
What I'm going to do for mine, unless you want it perfectly original, is use some of the sound deadening material such as dynamat. This is high quality stuff used mainly for the purpose of high volumer stereo equipment. Should work much better than the foam insulation stuff, and easier to install. It's pretty cheap on ebay as well. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I just removed my original headliner and plan to replace with a black one from Ground Up. My insulation appears to be intact and I will leave that alone, but down here in Texas it gets really HOT, so I am going to attach a foil radiant barrier to the insulation which will then be hidden by the headliner itself. If it works for a house, it will work for a car.

Just an idea for tossing around..... ;)

John

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
What ever you put up there John, make sure it doesn't fall down and touch the headliner or you'll have lumps showing from the bottom side.
Roger

·
Registered
261 Posts
lets talk headliners,once you have your bows in
the correct order,put them in the listings in the new headliner.trim away about 2" from end of bow
(listing) or bow loop. this way, when you pull side to side you will not bunch up the listing
at the end of the bow. START by installing the bows.
be carefull of the bow next to the dome lite
cause those plastic clips that hold the wire of that bow can break very easy.use a little vasaline
on the cotton listing to push on the plastic clips sometimes a small hammer might help
be carefull you dont hit the headliner fabric.
NOW center the headliner. most headliners have a center line. if not you should make one.
use a good spray glue like 3m 8080 or 8090
8080 is best.spray front windsheild headliner
(clip),and 3-4" of front fabric.
PULL good,(NOT TO RIP FABRIC)INSTALL 6-7"on each side of rear view mirror
DID I MENTION.... dont forget to put the screws
back in the holes for your visors,coat hooks,and dome light?
once installed,(headliner) how are you gonna find the holes.(just feel for the screw,then take it out).
then go to the rear.glue both fabric and clip,
pull(NOT TO RIP FABRIC).then do your 4 corner
glue,then pull to the corners with the fabric
you might need a hairdryer to soften the fabric
once front to back ,then corner to corner.
then go side to side(in that order)
GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
261 Posts
Originally posted by my442ragtop:
lets talk headliners,once you have your bows in
the correct order,put them in the listings in the new headliner.trim away about 2" from end of bow
(listing) or bow loop. this way, when you pull side to side you will not bunch up the listing
at the end of the bow. START by installing the bows.
be carefull of the bow next to the dome lite
cause those plastic clips that hold the wire of that bow can break very easy.use a little vasaline
on the cotton listing to push on the plastic clips sometimes a small hammer might help
be carefull you dont hit the headliner fabric.
NOW center the headliner. most headliners have a center line. if not you should make one.
use a good spray glue like 3m 8080 or 8090
8080 is best.spray front windsheild headliner
(clip),and 3-4" of front fabric.
PULL good,(NOT TO RIP FABRIC)INSTALL 6-7"on each side of rear view mirror
DID I MENTION.... dont forget to put the screws
back in the holes for your visors,coat hooks,and dome light?
once installed,(headliner) how are you gonna find the holes.(just feel for the screw,then take it out).
then go to the rear.glue both fabric and clip,
pull(NOT TO RIP FABRIC).then do your 4 corner
glue,then pull to the corners with the fabric
you might need a hairdryer to soften the fabric
once front to back ,then corner to corner.
then go side to side(in that order)
GOOD LUCK

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,960 Posts
I found a good product for the roof insulation,it's made to go under wood flooring for sound deadning and insulation.
It looks like the insulation for the trunk divider only thinner and more compact mabe 3/16-1/4.
It also has a plastic backing on one side that helps in marking for fitt.
To apply just buy a quart of contact cement and have at it.
The thing I didnt like about the products with the metal backings is the fact they may reflect heat back into the paint? (and cook it)
Mabe thats why OE is a felt type?
I also used the flooring insulation under my dash and on the inside of the firewall.
Dont know if it was mentioned that you can use a small clothing steamer to remove fold lines and wrinkles from the headliner after it's installed?
Hope this helps?
T.C.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts