Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone recently done a headliner? Im about to replace the one in my 71SS, and a friend tells me it's a nightmare...I have done all the rest myself, and I want to do this too...mostly from a financial standpoint....So what should I look forward to..any hints, or do's and dont's I should know about? Thanks to all...John O

·
Registered
283 Posts
Aside from the instructions. One thing I learned the hard way, Start early and try to finish in one day. It seems to start shrinking as soon as you take it out of the package. I did one that I couldn't finish right away and it never got tight.
Harley

·
Registered
84 Posts
My best advice is to have a pro do it. Really is a bitch and if you cut something wrong, you are screwed.

Make sure the pro understands and has done older style headliners. Anyone who just redoes the newer one-piece unit isn't qualified to do yours.

If you must do it yourself here's what I learned first hand -

1. Don't spray glue on the front of the sailpanels or the glue will show through the material and bend the panel in the wrong direction

2. Don't remove the bows withough marking the holes that the came from.

3. get 10 1/8 strips of wood about 1" X 4" to temporarily wedge the material in the channel while you manuver it straight.

4. Warm the plastic channel material in the sun to allow it to go back and reform to the roof curve. Use a hair dryer on low to help smooth the headliner. Keep the heat moving!

5. The area by the back window is the worst so be prepared to sweat and curse. GET A HELPER!

Really - spend the 150 -200 bucks to get it done by someone else.

[This message has been edited by ddoler (edited 07-10-99).]

[This message has been edited by ddoler (edited 07-10-99).]

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have no experiance with chevelle headliners but I installed one on my 70 bird and its a major pain in the butt. If I had to do it over again (which I will here pretty quick) I would/will be taking it to a professional. The pros arent really expensive compared to the headache you will get doing it yourself, especially if your a first timer. You have to weigh the time you will spend lining it up, the time it takes for it to shift/fall/tear/over streach and compare it to paying someone a few bucks to do it for you. Its well worth the money IMHO.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
If you are bound and determined to do-it-yourself then don't even look at it till you get a Fisher Body Service Manual. Its not as easy a job as you would think. It explains the proper procedure to remove and replace it. If you don't have the book you will certainly do it wrong, I am taklking from experience.

IMPORTANT
Note which holes the listing wires are installed in side roof rails. Listing wires should be placed in same hole when replacing liner.

IMPORTANT
Listing wires removed from old headliner must be reinstalled in corresponding pockets of the new headliner.

You will need a heat gun, hair dryer may work but it may also cutoff from overheating etc. Also my 70 manual says to start installation at the No. 3 bow and work backwards from there first, installing the listing wires as you go.

Lay the liner flat out in the sun for several hours before starting, it softens up the material and removes most of the packing seams etc. Get the proper adhesive, it has to be non-staining (3M brand is best), you will need to take safety precuations so you are not overwhelmed by the hazardous fumes etc.

Don't do this on a humid day or out in the sun, it will seem like a oven inside the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.