Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read soooo many posts and checked out ACME AUTO HEADLINERS in Southern California, even with a custom kit and new bows, new clips, 3M spray and some padding for in between. It certainly adds up
I think my original game plan and cost will be better than the stock type of way. Even with the custom kits offered they still go in with bows which I really dont want to deal with. So im thinking about going to the metal supply shop and buyin some really really thin 20+ guage weldable metal/steel, buying this in a big sheet, basically just trim the heck out of it maybe do it in 2 pieces, then weld it to the side metal rails, after welding 1 side, I can flex the whole thing and get any desired bends, then hold that bend in place and tack weld a spot or 2 on the oposite side. With some trimming and little bends.... we're done! Nice metal roof, spray it down with some 3M and go to the fabric store, buy any kind of fabric I want for it... then presto.

Let me know what you guys think. To me it sounds like a fun way to do it, no bows, more options, About 1/3 less money too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My nieghbor across the street has a 68' Ford Show truck. His headliner is custom, really nice! It's what I want mine to look like, and I guess he said the guy used some kind of cardboard as a base. I wonder what else is flexible and will hold its shape , other than thin metals. Cardboard though? Doesnt make sence to me. Maybe it's some special kind :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My nieghbor across the street has a 68' Ford Show truck. His headliner is custom, really nice! It's what I want mine to look like, and I guess he said the guy used some kind of cardboard as a base. I wonder what else is flexible and will hold its shape , other than thin metals. Cardboard though? Doesnt make sence to me. Maybe it's some special kind :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hokey? :D How so? Upholstery board hm, I need to find a supply shop that stocks alot of stuff. Maybe just pay them to do it, if I can find a place in town thats reasonable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts