Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, maybe I can get some help here. The headlights on my 65 Elky both high and low beam have quit working. The high beam indicator stays on even if you click from high to low, but no headlights. Any ideas where to start? Thanks in advance, Grover.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The first thing I would look at is to see if your getting power at the headlight sockets. If not, I would check the ground connection at the headlight sockets first. Since the hi-beam indicator is working, it seems that your getting power coming out of the dimmer switch, but its not completing the circuit thru to the headlights.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Theoretically, the dimmer is supplying current to the high beams and high indicator at the very same junction, but since I have never rewired a Elky, my guess is to start with the dimmer switch.

Something is awry with that since it won't switch the indicator off. Dimmers are the weakest link. I would start there.

------------------
Steve Jack
-Concept One Pulleys and Brackets
-Marketing Technologies Limited
-Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" technical column author/originator

[This message has been edited by HOTRODSRJ (edited 08-17-2002).]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked and I have power to the headlight sockets. Should one of the sockets be a ground? I have power to all three on the low beam side and both sockets on the high beam side a hot as well. Any other thoughts on a bad dimmer switch?
Thanks again,
Grover

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Yes one of the contacts is ground. It is the black one. Tan should be the low beam power wire going to the 2 outer bulbs. Green striped is the high beam wire. Make sure you have the small cable from the (-) battery post to the inside fender.
Sounds like you lost the ground connection for the headlights. Think on a 65 it's on the right side around the battery.
Might try getting to the backside of the left lower (outer) headlight. Get a probe and a jumper wire on the black wire. Touch the other end to ground. Should light up most, if not all the headlights. If so look at the harness connection to ground on the right side.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, it was the ground behind the passenger side headlights. The lights are working now except... When I turn the high beams on, instead of all four lights working, the passenger side low beam goes off altogether. I end up with drivers side working fine and only high beam on the passenger side, any ideas on this problem?
Thanks,
Grover

[This message has been edited by Grover (edited 08-18-2002).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Actually Hopup32 was on the money on this one. Tried swapping outer bulbs? Almost now sounds like a blown filament on the outer right side.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John,
Actually all the bulbs are new. It still had the old T3 bulbs in it. What's your feeling about the dimmer switch.
Thanks,
Grover

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Doesn't sound like the dimmer switch. The high/low function appears to be working. Still sounds like a bad bulb or no power to the high beam filament in that lamp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts