Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 330 with a 350. The alternator is new the old one was bad according to Auto Zone so I replaced it. I have only owned this car for a very short while and have not driven it much at night. I did swap out the motor and covert all of the brackets back to 67 SBC specs. I also had the exhaust manifolds ceramic coated.

I have searched this topic and the pages were not available to read, some URL message or something.

The headlighs dim as the RPMs drop to idle and the turn signals blink slower. The car starts fine/cranks hard. I did get out of the car tonight to check the radiator fluid and noticed the battery was hissing/bubling.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Bill67

------------------
Been into dirt bikes forever and new to muscle cars. 67 2-dr Chevelle, 350/350, posi, rallys.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Bill,
My lights/blinkers do the same thing but my battery does not hiss. The alternator tested out fine. I think the low rpms just don't crank the alternator enough to supply juice to all the electrical components. Headlights draw a lot of electricity. You might want to get that battery checked out though.

------------------
Honey, its not a $200 hat. The distributor was $200, the hat came with it. kevin d
Maryland Chevelle Club #362
Classic Cars and Trucks of Beaufort #72

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Start by putting a voltmeter on your battery and finding the voltage at idle and at higher engine speeds. Voltage at higher speeds should not exceed about 14.5 volts. Probably a new voltage regulator is in order.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Check your connections and grounds - electric current must make a "circuit" , thus any poor connection in that circuit will limit the power in that circuit.
Be sure your engine to firewall and battery to body ground straps are good.
Hissing and bubbling battery indicate to me an overcharge.

------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a vechicle that did something just like what yours is doing. higher rpm, bright lights, dim at idle.
Get a voltmeter on the battery. Sounds like your voltage regulator is shot and it's overcharging your battery (thats why its hissing and bubbling). if when you rev the engine, and you read in excess of 14 volts(or whatever the spec is) replace the regulator. I diddnt catch mine till I fried the battery. (Was in the middle of a road trip too!)
good luck

------------------
Pete Triolo
71 Malibu 454
87 K5
Classic Cars and Trucks of Beaufort #71

·
Registered
50 Posts
convert that puppy to the internal regulator type alternator and the problems should go away...
i converted my 65 and now my lights stay bright all the time..
i gave $20.00 for the alternator at the junk yard and used the instruction by Wes to change the wiring...

[This message has been edited by jester (edited 11-09-2000).]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks guys!!!

I'm going to get on it this weekend. Getting into building this car has given me the opportunity to learn and even better buy more tools. Ohm meter this weekend and some .....gauges for the motor...... I don't know Honey???, Jegs must have sent them to me on accident or something}:)

Bill67

------------------
Been into dirt bikes forever and new to muscle cars. 67 2-dr Chevelle, 350/350, posi, rallys.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey change it over to a internal regulator type & you will elemiate most of your promblems. I had the same promblem & changed mine over & love the way that my lights are now, the one I put on was 70 amp & the one I took off was a 37 amp big differnce! It is so simple & easy that even I couldn't mess up.

------------------
johnnyr

[This message has been edited by johnnyr (edited 11-12-2000).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts