Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,
This is my first post and I hope it does not sound stupid. I removed my front fenders and hood from my 69 Chevelle to replace them. (have not put them back on yet) While they were off I detailed my engine and started the car up. I turned my lights on and the taillights, license tag light, dash lights (with the exception that my "bright light indicator stays on") and gtr. panel lights all worked fine. However my headlights and fender lights did not come on, the park lights in the front bumper work fine, but nothing else in the front. Is there a grounding problem, will they start working again after I re-install my fenders? How can I check this? I hope someone can help me with this problem.

------------------
Love My 69 Chevelle and 72 Monte Carlo

·
Registered
280 Posts
If I remember right, there's no real ground between the radiator support and the frame without the fenders (rubber bushings at frame connection), so I would expect headlights and fender-lights to not work.

Easy to test though - run a ground wire from the core support to the frame or neg terminal of the battery. I'd only leave it that way long enough to verify the lights though.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by derekf:
If I remember right, there's no real ground between the radiator support and the frame without the fenders (rubber bushings at frame connection), so I would expect headlights and fender-lights to not work.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Very much correct. That's what the little negative cable ground wire to the right inner fender does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys, I will try to ground it from the negetive cable to the chassie just to make sure before I re-install my fenders.

------------------
Love My 69 Chevelle and 72 Monte Carlo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts