Chevelles.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Anyone know how these compare to the DSE 'Bright Driver' Headlights? Obviously much cheaper if you look at the list price, but is there a difference otherwise? Also, don't these type bulbs draw more current than the old sealed beam lights, thus compounding the voltage drop problem described on the MAD Electrical site?

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Beware that the conversion headlights might not bolt in without modifications, at least the 5 1/4" quad light versions. They fit fine into the headlight bucket but the bulb holder and seal will not fit through the holes in the core support. You will need to enlarge the core support holes.

Also the original factory wiring was designed around 37 watt bulbs or about 11 amps of current total. Standard halogen bulbs these days run 60 watts or about 18 amps total. You will definitely want to upgrade the wiring and convert to relays for halogen headlight conversions.

I have a set of Hella H4 conversions sitting in the closet just waiting for bigger holes... which is waiting for the core support sway I need to do. But the wiring and relays are all there and ready to go.

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
FWIW I have run standard halogen lamps in my 72 for three years with out a lamp failure nor a wiring problem including extended hours of night driving. That includes hi beam driving wherever possible. Us old guys need all the light we can get. They may take more amperage but our old Chevelles are up to the task.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I am glad it has worked for you but your mileage may vary...

First it will depend upon what type of halogen bulbs you have. For example the H5001/H5006 are 50 and 35/35 watts respectively. This will give you a significantly lower current than the 4x 60 watt bulbs that I was discussing (and less light). Many of these conversion lights use the H4 or similiar bulb which normally is a 55/60 watt bulb (or the H1 at 55 watts).

Second I have regular sealed beam halogens in my '68 as well. And it was marginal as evidenced by the burnt ground wire and terminal I pulled out of the old wiring.

You may be able to get away with high powered and/or halogen headlights using the original wiring. The factory wiring is even completely adequate for low beams. But I would not want to rely upon the factory wiring for high beam use with 4x 60 watt bulbs up front. Nor do I really want all that power loading up my main dash fusebox power feed. Personally I prefer a bit of extra capacity to increase the safety and reliability factors.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Halogen headlites may work with stock wiring, but to get the maximum amount of lumens from them will require upgraded wiring and relays. They will be brighter.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I believe in safety. I upgraded to relays and Hella headlights (stock watts) and I am very happy with the results. Well worth the cost.

In the process, I also added a "Daytime Running Lights" module. It turns on the headlights at about 60% intensity 10 secs after ignition ON. The headlight switch works as before.

Now, I am looking for a suitable 3rd brake light. It is my everyday ride and I do not want to get rear ended...

Theo.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. But, I'm wanting the Diamond conversion or Projector beam in 5 3/4". Where can I get them? I also have a 72 GMC truck that uses the same size 4 light system. I might be interested in 2 sets of lights.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Chevydog66,

I have a complete set (4) of 5 3/4" Diamond headlights with removable bulbs. I bought too many headlights... If you are interested, make me an offer at "[email protected]" I can email you pictures.

Theo.
'68 Chevelle Conv.

·
Registered
640 Posts
How did you guys wire up the new headlights? Where did you put the relays? How many relays did you use? How did they fit? I am very interested in doing this conversion, but I need lots of info. I can't seem to find much info about this stuff on the web. Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
chevydog66,

Search this forum, there was a great link here about a year ago I believe, with schematics, recommended parts etc.

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Thanks!! I am still surprised at all the learning that can be acheived, with a little research.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Man!!! I just spent almost 1 1/2 hours on the phone with Mark, at MAD Electrical. What a guy!!! He was so helpful!! He made me realize exactly how bad out electrical systems are in our GM A bodies.
http://www.madelectrical.com/index.shtml

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
By all accounts Mark is a stand-up guy who tries his absolute best to stear you in the right direction. Good advice and the stuff he sells is all top notch. Where else would you buy a relay and get a 24 page book explaining how to use it?

I don't agree with the statement that the electrical systems in these cars were bad. They were adaquate, which is what GM was trying to do when making the most vehicles for the least amount of money. It's good to know what to do to make the system better though and how to add on extra accessories correctly.

Peter

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by chevydog66:
He made me realize exactly how bad out electrical systems are in our GM A bodies.
http://www.madelectrical.com/index.shtml
He's also selling a product. Dont-ca love infomericals. His voltage drop measurements are a little in favor of selling that product. Would like him to back up his math on a new circuit, not just some old car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts