Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the story goes this is a 67 chevelle (former racer transformed to a street driver)
The engine wiring harness was a shambles, I’ll need a new one of those. I’m no electrical genius but the head lights should only come on when the switch is pulled, not when the
Red goes to the battery well that’s enough venting about the first problem.
The real problem now is that when the headlight switch is pulled the turn signal lights
In the dash go on and stay steady, the headlights work correctly (dimming and such)
But it seems that something is funky with the 4 way flashers, I can’t get them to work
Normally by pushing the button, the only way all of them are on is when the headlight switch is pulled and they don’t flash. When a signal to the left or right is switched
They will flash very very slowly. If the head lights ARE NOT on the signal switch will work as expected. As far as I can tell the dash harness was virtually left intact
(Other than a yellow radio wire cut and the red wire on the ignition switch jumpered directly to the starter), which is amazing considering the condition an *ssbackwardness
of the engine harness. I’m leaning toward a bad ground somewhere in the system but haven’t a clue where to start. Any help would be a godsend, this may be long winded
for a first post but I was running out of brains to pick.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"The real problem now is that when the headlight switch is pulled the turn signal lights
In the dash go on and stay steady, the headlights work correctly (dimming and such)"

I'd work on this first. This is caused by the front running/turn signal lamps in the bumper. Both appear to be lacking a ground.
Turn the headlights on.
Take a piece of wire.
Touch one end of the wire to one of the running/turn signal lamps. Touch the wire to the bulb base right where it meets the glass bulb.
Touch the other end of the wire to a known good ground.
The one light in the dash, either right or left, whatever side you are on, should go out.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Former racer? Does it have a fiberglass front bumber. Sounds like the front turn signal lights don't have a ground.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts