Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK HERE'S MY PROBLEM. I have a 1966 chevelle convertible that I'm restoring. The wiring harness is new, and the headlight switch, is new. When I turn on the headlights everything works OK , but the highbeam indicator light on the dash is on , but the highbeams are not on. Then when I click the highbeam lights on the highbeams come on and the highbeam light then goes out. It's doing the opposite it should. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
The only thing that I can think of is that the new harness has a defect; the indicator lamp is wired to the low beams. If you have the old harness, check it to see which high beam switch terminal connects with the indicator lamp wire.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Jet, it sounds like the high beam and low beam wires are crossed where they go through the firewall. If you have a new forward lamp harness, and I/P harness, it could be crossed in either harness. Check the forward lamp harness first. With the connector plugged into the firewall, it should look like this.

---red-------------->� �<---------------lt. blue
--- dk. blue--------->� �<------------------blk
---brn-------------->� �<--(HIGH BEAM)--lt. grn
---tan-(LOW BEAM)->� �<------------------ppl
--- blk-------------->� �<---------------blk/wht
(Sorry, best I can do)

If the forward lamp harness is correct, you will need to unbolt the fusebox from the firewall, and separate it( it is 2 piece, fuse side, firewall side). Look at the firewall side and make sure that the lt grn and tan wires are plugged in the correct cavities.
To unseat the terminal(if it is plugged wrong), you will have to push down the the 2 locking tangs on each side of the terminal, and pull back on the wire while you are pushing the locking tangs down, You can use 2 small jewelers screwdrivers to push the locking tangs down. Hope this helps

------------------
Ken<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Aces # 125<LI>Team Chevelle # 586[/list]My 67 and other projects

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the replies, I'll check that connection at the firewall. Also when I move the dimmer on the switch the highbeam light goes out and both blinker lights come on, and also my dash lights are not coming on, but my console lights are. Do you think something could be wrong in my headlight switch. THANKS FOR THE INPUT. If everything is not hooked up , like the power seat, power top, and radio, would these effect the system.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Now that you told us "the rest of the story", I think I can explain - this is what happened to me a week ago (sounds the same anyway)
The factory "dash gauge pod" [speedo,temp/fuel gauges, clock, etc] are all connected in one unit and this is mounted in a plastic insert in the dash - right? On my 64, the light switch and wiper switch are grounded to this assembly also.
I bet this entire unit is not grounded and the electricity is finding a ground through the dash lights, turn signals, etc.
Install a ground wire from the speedometer assembly to a good ground under the dash and I bet all the gremlins will go away.E-mail me if I confused you, but I feel sure this is it.

------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/al's64elky-1
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/al's64elky-2

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
283v8, hey that sounds like a good possibility, I'll try that out tonight when I get home. Thanks for the good advice,I'll let you know tomorrow how I made out. THANKS!.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts