Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help.

My headlight switch seems to be acting up a bit.

Whenever I turn on the headlights the lamps come on great but the interior dash cluster lights sometimes come on and sometimes they don't. When they don't I fiddle with the switch until they do.

I know it's probably the switch that needs replacement.

Are they easily available through parts stores and the GM parts counter?

And how easy, difficult to replace the switch?

Car is a 1970 Chevelle SS

Also, my headlights seem to be kinda dull. Battery seems fine. Could it be that I may need a new voltage regulator?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah, when mine was doing that it was the switch.

Removal is sometimes hard, sometimes not, depending on how cooperative the switch is.

To take the switch out:
Reach up behind the dash and feel around for the switch. There's a little spring-loaded button that you'll need to press and hold down to pull the knob off (the knob and shaft come out as one long bit). You may want to get the new switch before starting taking the old out, that way you can see what you're feeling. Sometimes the button doesn't want to play right and that's when this can get to be a bear.

Once you've got the knob and shaft out, you can unscrew the bezel (on my 69 it's got a groove that looks like you could use a giant screwdriver; I seem to use a penny when I need to take mine off.. not sure how yours will look)

With the bezel removed you should be able to pull the switch itself down so you can see it.. then it's just a matter of unplugging the giant plug on it. Plug the new switch in, attach it with the bezel-nut-thing, put the knob back on, and test.

As for the headlamps being a bit dim, well, they probably are. Are you comparing them to how they used to be, or more modern cars? The headlamps on our old cars never were particularly bright.

You could convert to Halogen lamps, if you haven't already, or move to using relays to drive the lamps, or even get some of those HID lamps that modern cars have.. all depends on how much you want to spend, how bright you want the lights to be, and how non-stock you're willing to make the car. With that said, you may want to check the voltage at the socket with the car running and the lights on. Hopefully someone else will chime in with which prongs you'd need to test; I'd just end up testing each one against both of the others until I got a reading.

Anyway, hope this helps some.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Switch is easy to replace on that car. Just remove the 6 screws on the dash pad and move that out of the way. Switch can be bought over the counter at a parts store. GM used the same pull on switch for years. I got the last one I needed out of a mid 70s Nova. Someone had just changed it out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Derek,

Thanks for the advice on the switch. Guess I'll go look for one tomorrow and replace it this weekend.

The headlights are the original T3 lamps. I guess they do shine a little less then today's modern lamps. Haven't had the car too long so comparing the before and after is not an option.

I'll keep the T3's. I'll just run a voltage check on them.

John, Thanks for the switch buying locations and the removal of the dash pad tip.

Regards

Bruce

1 - 5 of 5 Posts