Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am wiring relays & Daytime Running Lights feature for my '68 daily driver. I have the electrical schematics but the previous owner messed with the wiring, so I have a couple of questions...

1. Are the low beam lights the outside ones?
2. When the High Beam light is turned ON, which headlights turn ON and/or OFF? Do all four stay ON? At what intensity?

Thanks,
Theo.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Originally posted by Theo:
Hi all,

I am wiring relays & Daytime Running Lights feature for my '68 daily driver. I have the electrical schematics but the previous owner messed with the wiring, so I have a couple of questions...

1. Are the low beam lights the outside ones?
2. When the High Beam light is turned ON, which headlights turn ON and/or OFF? Do all four stay ON? At what intensity?

Thanks,
Theo.
Ok. The outer lamps are the lowbeam lamps. They are normally on when you are in the "lowbeam" mode. The inner lamps are the highbeam lamps. Now, the outer lamps have TWO filaments. One for the lowbeam and ONE for the highbeam. When the highbeam function is selected, the highbeam filaments are lit AND the two outer headlamps as well. ALL four lamps are thus lit when in the highbeam mode. The low beam filaments in the outer lamps receive no power in the high beam mode. So, HIGHBEAM: ALL four lamps are lit. LOWBEAM: Only the outer lamps are lit.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerry,

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

To re-phrase, during HIGHBEAM, all 4 high beam filaments are lit, right?

Theo.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys,

I just checked the '68 schematics and this is what I saw:

Both inner & outer lights have the LG (light green, I assume) wire. This is the HIGH Beam signal.

The outer lights have the T (Tan) wire. This is the LOW Beam signal.

I cannot tell where the inner light wires are on the plug. It is a two connector plug. Does it go to the two lower light bulb connectors?
If yes, then the inner light low beam filaments go ON during HIGH Beam. This is together with the high beam filaments on the outer lights.

The outer light wires are shown correctly on the plug with Low signal on top, High on lower right and Ground on lower left of the plug. This is when looking at the plug installed from the engine side.

Theo.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
I just checked the '68 schematics and this is what I saw:

Both inner & outer lights have the LG (light green, I assume) wire. This is the HIGH Beam signal.

The outer lights have the T (Tan) wire. This is the LOW Beam signal.

I cannot tell where the inner light wires are on the plug. It is a two connector plug. Does it go to the two lower light bulb connectors?
If yes, then the inner light low beam filaments go ON during HIGH Beam. This is together with the high beam filaments on the outer lights.

The outer light wires are shown correctly on the plug with Low signal on top, High on lower right and Ground on lower left of the plug.

Theo.
Would that be the same for a '69???

Scott

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Theo: The inner lamps get a 2 wire connector as there is only one beam (no low beam) in the innner lamps. The outer lamps get the 3 wire connectors to power up the low beams and the high beams. Take a look at John D's reply.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JWagner,

That's where it is confusing...

Low Beam - Outer Lamps, Low Filaments only.
High Beam - Inner Lamps (HIGH FILAMENTS????), AND High Filaments of Outer Lamps (Low Filaments are OFF).

Are all four bulb high filaments ON during HIGH Beam?

Theo.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Originally posted by Theo:
JWagner,

That's where it is confusing...

Low Beam - Outer Lamps, Low Filaments only.
High Beam - Inner Lamps (HIGH FILAMENTS????), AND High Filaments of Outer Lamps (Low Filaments are OFF).

Are all four bulb high filaments ON during HIGH Beam?

Theo.
Okay, I see the confusion ;)

There is NO "high beam filament" per se in the High Beams, There's only ONE filament period! The inner sealed beam headlights (closest to the radiator) ONLY turn on when you turn on your headlamps to HI.

Low beam operation: (normal nite-time driving)

Low beam filaments come on for each outside sealed beam bulb. Inner sealed beams ARE OFF.

High beam operation: High beam filaments come on inside the outside sealed beam bulbs. The low-beam filaments are off AND the inner high beam sealed beam lights COME ON in addition, so you have 4 lamps on at this time. The inner ones are either OFF or ON, that's it, no in-between. The outside lamps are the ones that have (2) different filaments which switch during hi or low beam operation.

Your light green wires only have 12 volts when the high beams are selected. The tan wires only have 12 volts during normal low beams. ALL headlamps are connected to ground via the black wires at all times.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Again, Just to clarify, Hi beams on= all 4 headlamps are working. Lo beams on= only the outer most lamps for a total of 2 lit.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sheesh. Isn't all this what I said in my reply to the question? ;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys! It is finally clear to me...

Jerry, the only thing I was not clear on was which filaments come ON during HIGH Beam on the inside headlights. You were right.

Now, I can fix the headlight electrical mess the previous owner made on the car.

I just finished installing the Covan's dash, which was not too much fun. It looks nice but there was a rats nest of wires behind the old dash. Now, the wire runs are much cleaner. I also finished installing the compact, short water pump, March Performance serpentine belt system. Their instructions are the worst, but it is doable. Let me know if you have any questions on these systems.

Theo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts