Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added a headlight minder ( the chime that sounds when the lights are on and the door is open) to their car? Any hints?

Jim

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Never done it but not too hard. Borrowed some of this from another site. Not good with pictures. Go from the +12 running light wire on the headlight switch, to a buzzer or chime, then to the drivers door light switch. On a 71 there's a connector need the left hand kick panel or cut the wires. Need to put a diode in the existing white lead to stop the other doors operating the buzzer.

+12v brown running light wire on headlight switch
|
+-+--+
| | 12 volt buzzer
+-+--+
|
+-----20 white-II-----|<|-------II 20 white - To existing wiring, other doors, interior light switch
| Diode
|
O
----| Drivers door switch
O
|
Frame ground

When you leave your lights on AND open the drivers door, the buzzer sounds. If you meant to leave your lights on, just shut the door and the buzzer stops.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
they sell a kit at the Chevy dealer and it has instructions in the kit. I think it was less the 10 dollars.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, Leo, would you know if that kit from GM has a part number? I asked the counter folks at Scoggin-Dickey and got the 'deer in the headlights' look.

Jim

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed the chime yesterday, Radio Shack has an electronic chime for 10 bucks. I connected the wires like so:
-Chime red to headlight switch brown.
-Chime blue to the black wire on the driver's side door plunger.
-Chime black to body ground.
Didn't need to add the diode, using the black wire on the plunger switch worked good, the chime won't sound with the lights on and the passenger door open.
Again, many thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Great job. Sounds like you tied it into the key minder circuit on the door switch (if I remember right). Can't see why that won't work. (Obviously you did make it work and improved on the idea). If I would have thought about it more the key minder wires can be found on the steering column. Just have to grab the right one. On older cars without the key minder, the diode blocks off the other door(s). Heck if one doesn't care about the passenger door, I'd leave the diode out anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts