Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could someone please tell me how to remove a headlight knob from a '70 el camino ss dash?

thanks,
pat

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Reach around behind the switch and depress the button that releases the knob and shaft. Not too sure how much effort it is to remove the dash top on a '70, but it is really easy on my '72. That gives easy access to the switch.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Originally posted by JWagner:
Not too sure how much effort it is to remove the dash top on a '70, but it is really easy on my '72. That gives easy access to the switch.
Same as the '72, JW. Remove the six screws under the front ledge (open the glove compartment door for access to two of the screws), lift up and pull towards you. When you look at the switch you'll see a little spring loaded button (looks like a rivet with a spring around the shaft). Push IN on the button while pulling on the shaft. Sounds rather obscene, actually! :D

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Originally posted by RAT396:
bite me engineer
What he said sounds like useful advice to me, not sure who should be biting what there.

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
Actually a service manual is worth its weight in gold if you do much work on your car. It has saved me countless hours of head scratching. The wiring was a cut up mess in our el Camino and the book was a God send. Without it I probably would have ended up buying new dash and front end harnesses and you know how much they cost. The book will save you its price many times over.
Engineer was just trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was the way he said it...I could be wrong but sounded kind of condescending to me. Why not just answer the question and then suggest that I get a service manual? If I had a service manual then I wouldn't have to ask for help in a HELP forum. We all aren't mechanics and we all don't have service manuals. If we knew it all there wouldn't be any need for a Q & A Forum. So if you want to direct a comment like "why don't you just buy a manual like everyone else" at me then i'm going to respond in kind. If you weren't being a wise ass engineer, then I apologize.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
thats why this is the help section
so you can ask a question
personally I buy a manual for every car I own
but that is because I am a cheapskate who does all my own work
manuals are very handy and do think they save lots of money
on the other hand a quick question for a simple answer does not mean you need a manual
just an answer (without the attitude)
some of us just like to help

·
Registered
511 Posts
You should also learn how use the search function. This question has been asked atleast 200 times in the past years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts