Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The builder of the 454 505hp engine for my '70 Chevelle recommended 2" Hooker Super Comp headers. I noticed that at Summit they are @ $375, and I also noticed that the Dynomax Ceramic 2" headers are @ $200. Is there a significant difference in the performance level of these 2 headers, i.e. enough to justify the extra money for the Hookers? Thanks for any input you may have for me!

Tim

·
Registered
167 Posts
There was a discussion of BB headers here not that long ago. If I remember right, it boiled down to the fact that there are headers out there that fit better than hookers. I don't know about the super comps, but I as well as a few others had the cheaper comps for BB in chevelles, and they didn't fit very well. It sticks in my mind that someone said the dynomax headers fit pretty good. Someone else will know.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

·
Registered
900 Posts
Iused the dyno max ceramics on my 66 SB.And I'm going to use them on my 72 402 after x-mas.They look and fit great on my SB.And others (DZ AUTO) have said they do the same on BB's.
Rick

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a set for my 68 402 and they don't
fit!When I read the instructions they actually give dimensions to notch out the chassis and engine mount on the driver side(are you kidding me?)luckily Summit has a no hassle return policy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Keep this in mind about the super comps

The Super Comp headers are for racing. They are supposed too clear all your accesories, but the intent was to be a good race header.

One of the thing's about super comps is that the primary tube lengths are very close to the same, more so than with the dynomax's. Now the idea is that each cylinder has the same header tuned length which should make the effect of the header the same on each cylinder. Unfortunately, when you try to make the tubes all the same length, there becomes little extra space in the engine compartment for STUFF.

Now I believe there is no sense in putting on a junk header just because it fits well, because I put headers on for performance not fit. I understand that not everyone shares my opinion, and in the long run, it probably doesnt make a difference on a street car, which one you use.

Just for curiosity I tried my Dynomax headers when my Blown 406 was on the dyno. The dyno headers were hooker super comps with 1 3/4 primaries, and 3" collectors.

the engine made 560 hp at 5800 rpm. Then I installed the 1 5/8 to 3" dynomax headers, and realized a 100 HP DIFFERENCE, unfortunately it was negative. thats right the same engine made 445hp at 5500! Please dont think I'm bashing dynomax, because I'm not, their headers usually do fit well and are easy to install. But on the other hand, the numbers dont lie!

HTH

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I think 68 had the big hp difference because the engine is blown. With the huffer pushing so hard on the mixture I imagine the engine is more exhaust sensitive than a normally aspirated engine. On a normal high perf engine that peaks out at 5500 I wouldnt think the hookers are needed. Im not an expert, just an edjucated guess after all these years of hands on and reading everything I can get my hands on...

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
834 Posts
Don't be to sure about the fitting thing! I just swapped out a 350 for a 454 and the heamann headers for the 454 fit a lot better and easier to install than the headers on my SB.

Also, for the record, if a different set of headers mad a 100hp difference, there are more forces acting on it than different headers. Also, like the other guy said, that was a blown engine with probably a lot more exhaust, and the dynomax's had smaller tubes, not a fair comparison.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/

·
Registered
167 Posts
I guess what I meant to say is not to buy a certain brand of headers for your big block because someone had good like with them on a small block! Chances are, in most brands (I know it's a fact for hooker from experience) the small block headers probably fit better than the big block versions, there's just so much more room!

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dave
I have 2 inch Hooker comp headers on my LS6. I was looking at them the other day and they are really close to the top of the frame where they come down from the engine.
Maybe a little too close for comfort on a street machine.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dave what is application: Street, racing or show.
I have a set of Headman headers on a 396 BBC and I can't complain about the fit. They are a little tight on the drivers side but clear the steering column fine. The headers tuck up underneith the car and can bearly be see from the front and sides. If you do drop spindle or lower you Chevelle I would recommend the Headman Headers... Just my opinion.

------------------
JR
70 396SS El Camino #'s Matching.
69 396SS Chevelle, project "Street Bruiser"
H-D Ultra Classic E-Glide
I live to own toyz...

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
i have headman 1 3/4 headers on my 454..i didnt install them but visually they fit fine...they are low beneath the chassis and reduce ground clearnace on mine... i also have a deep cast aluminum TCI pan for my TH400...headers are at the same level as this deeper pan for reference

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
davewright99,
Why the SuperComp Headers? Hooker makes 2"primary/3.5" collector w/flanges for your
car. I have them on my 70 with a 402 BB. They may not be equal length but at $170 (Summit)
they work for me. Also they went in with
minimum hassle, some bending at steering shaft thats it. Plugs(big ones) are easy access too. Good Luck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
After reading Smitty70SS' post, I must admit that the plugs are very easy to get at on my 402 with the 2" Hooker Comps. I have a tilton starter, and still had to massage them in that area (I don't remember how close they were, but it was too close for my liking). I also had to adjust them in the brake proportioning valve area (every set of headers I've owned for a chevelle have been too close here BB and SB). Which I guess brings up another question, what do you guys consider good clearance for headers between the chassis, starter, etc?? I bent in one area because it was 1/4" away from one of the lower control arm brackets on the passenger side. Wanted to avoid problems with things hitting later on, maybe I go too far in the clearance department, I get that BFH in my hands (see bench racing; 10 all time best tools) and can't hold back.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.