Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw dress up header tape in a parts store that's supposed to reduce the outside temp, increase performance, etc. My headers are installed and I don't want to take them out. Has anyone used this tape or is there a better dress up alternative without having to remove the headers?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Someone told me to pass on the tape. That it would promote rust. Anyone know first hand that this is true or not?

·
Registered
111 Posts
When I first dropped in my BBC I put on headers. The next year I took them off and put on the header wrap. I can say that if you were changing plugs on a hot engine, you wouldn't get your skin burnt off. I noticed under the car that it kept the exhaust that hot that it burnt the paint about 1/3 off the cherry bombs that weren't affected the year before, this much I do know. I don't think rust would be a factor because of the heat even if you were in the rain. It did take a few dollars worth of hose clamps.Rick.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
On the 3 different cars I bought with header wrap, when I removed the wrap during resto the headers literally fell apart in my hands, huge holes blown through the tubes. Im sure the wrap was on there for a long time, but I have never had this kind of problem with unwrapped headers. I would pass on the wrap..

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback on the tape, I'll drop that idea. But what about brush ons? Is there something out there to dress them up while they're still on the car?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I just checked this out becasue I'm keeping my ugle rustey headers on for a little longer. Run a search on "header paint" and you'll come up with a bunch of posts. Seems like Eastwoods header paint is the way to go.

Gene Chaas
Gold Member 62
'67 SS L88

·
Registered
131 Posts
POR 20 Hi Temp, in Silver, is holding tenaciously, and looking like new, on bead blasted Stock manifolds.

Dave H.
Houston (gee it's hot) TX

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.