Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ceramic coated hedman hedders look plain awful. Since I am refreshing the motor, I'd like for them to look better.

What finish should I look for? (Ceramic coating is not the correct answer here!) ;)

I have an email to Hedman, and they suggest: "Jet Hot does a nice job. Their number is 1-800-432-3379."

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I have to agree Jet Hot coat not only does a GREAT job they are one of the few places that will redo used headers ......... most want new only to coat ... plus jet hot does both inside & out :D

IMO the best stuff I've found !!

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
I just dropped my Hooker headers off last Friday at a local powdercoater I've dealt with for years. He also does JetHot coating on headers and cast gray on exhaust manifolds.
Mike...he can do yours if you have difficulty find someone else...
If you're not in a hurry, bring them to Nashville.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I've used JetHot, Airbourne as well as two different local powder coaters over the years for header coating. IMO, ceramic coating just doesn't hold up as well as I think it should. It will dull over a couple of years, and beyond that may even begin to flake off and rust. You also need to have the tune up spot on before coating the headers (ask me how I know :clonk:). I don't know if it's the preparation, the process or both. I've heard some people say that it's better to run the headers/exhaust for a period of time before having them coated. Not sure what benefit this might provide, other than making sure you don't cook the ceramic coating off the headers from leaning it out during tuning :D All this said, I really like the look of ceramic coating when it's new.

Here's a link to a company that I've heard people speak extremely highly of, although I have no personal experience with them myself:

http://www.nitroplate.com/

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Bill, I may just do that. But like Ken said, I will want to run these on the new motor for a little while before sending them off for coating. The BB motor is going in right after CB08. I need that small block gas mileage to get to nashville! :D

I am also concerned about cost. I took a ball peen hammer to these guys for both spark plugs and A-frame clearance when I first put them on. So I'll be opting for a black or darker grey coating. nothing shiny.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
My Ceramic coated hedman hedders look plain awful. Since I am refreshing the motor, I'd like for them to look better.

What finish should I look for? (Ceramic coating is not the correct answer here!) ;)

I have an email to Hedman, and they suggest: "Jet Hot does a nice job. Their number is 1-800-432-3379."
Not Happy With Hedmans ??? :confused:

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
To add to what Kenny has mentioned...

My Hookers were coated by this same place 5 yrs ago. They have since then dulled somewhat and have chipped in spots (mostly lower-from road debris/speed bumps).
Plus, there is some baked on oil on the pass side header from a dipstick leak.
I am having them stripped and coated.
Also, these headers were used originally uncoated when the motor was dynoed, then test fit in the car during initial engine install.
The headers were then removed and coated.

BTW...part of the coating process requires the headers to be media tumbled after the coating application and baking.
This process is what produces the shine. Coated headers that have become dull but otherwise in good condition can just be re-tumbled to restore the finish.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few local racers recomend a place in Plaski TN. http://www.bcdcoatings.com/
I might get to compare prices... for a change!

Bill, you got a link or phone number to the place in GA that you like?

Tom. I can take a pic and email it if you'd like. Tops are dulled and or black. Bottoms are oily and spot rusted.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
A few local racers recomend a place in Plaski TN. http://www.bcdcoatings.com/
I might get to compare prices... for a change!

Bill, you got a link or phone number to the place in GA that you like?

Tom. I can take a pic and email it if you'd like. Tops are dulled and or black. Bottoms are oily and spot rusted.
Thanks Mike I appreciate the offer, but not necessary.

I just bought a set (Last Night...) Elite series ?? With the heavier flange and 14 gauge tubes. I liked the ball and socket joint and I got them with the coating. This is the first set I have had that came with some kind of coating. The motor is already tuned so they should hold up from the get go. These are for the Chevelle.

I will be sending the Monte headers to Jet Hot, based on advice from this site. Good luck with them.

Tom

·
Registered
13,360 Posts
I have the Elite 1.75" on mine. Hedman calls the coating on these HighTemp, not ceramic. Finish on the Elite is somewhere between shiney and satin. I had some flaking on a couple tubes, most likely due to too hot exhaust temps during orginial breakin of the flat tappet cam motor 5 years ago. Sent them back to Hedman, they re-caoted at no cost. Have held up real well since.

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
From what I have seen, there are a lot of poorly done parts, or ceramic coating is just one more dud. Our Flow Tech headers are showing surface rust after one summer on the road and the vehicle has never been out in the rain in that time. Remember when Aluma-Coat was all the rage on headers until people found out that it was no better than paint. We bought our 396 Chevelle over 10 years ago. The same headers are still on the car. They get a periodic touchup with high heat black barbecue paint and still look fine. I certainly wouldn't waste my money on these coatings again until someone proves that they are durable.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I just got my headers Jet Hot coated. They were a year and a half old and a little rusty before I sent them out (especially on the inside) and here's what they look like now:

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shameless motor promotion!! :D

But really, everything looks good new.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I had a set of new Hookers coated back in 99-00, keep the original invoice and warranty paperwork, well I am swapping heads/intake so I thought it would be a good time to get them re-coated since they were flaking and rust had developed. Called Jet Hot, told them I have the original warranty paper stating one free re-coat life time guaranteed as long as they were new pieces being coated. Well got my headers redone for just the cost of shipping (to/from):)

I also had Airborne coat my tail pipes and they are holding up nicely.

BTW, mothers aluminum poilish can help restore the finish a little.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.