Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having probalems fitting my headers inot my car. I have 355 going in to a 67 chevelle. They are Heddman Headers, and the bolt holes don't align, and the headers rub against the frame, and don't line up against the heads when the engine is in the car. Any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Headers are always a real pain, but it sounds like you have an unusual case. Are you sure they are correct for your application? Be aware that installing headers often involves disconnecting motormounts and jacking the motor up a bit, or jacking the car way up in the air and sliding them in from the bottom. On Chevy V8s, the starter often has to come off to get the passenger side header in. I even had to disconnect the lower steering shaft to get the driver's side header in my 69. good luck!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have both a small block Chevelle, and Heddman headers in my Chevelle. I had them in my '71, and are now in my '69. Drivers side from the bottom, and passenger side from the top. The starter usually needs to be removed. I thing Heddman's are among the best as far as fit and price are concerned. They probably sent you the wrong ones.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Do you by chance have the 1 3/4" heddmans? I replaced 1 5/8" hooker p/n2451 with them on my '65 malibu. The heddmans fit the car great, even better than the hookers. Spark plug access... well, that's another story.
Both sets required that the engine be lifted off of the mounts to get the driver's side in place. I raised the engine slightly, and bolted the driver's side in place with a couple of bolts, and guided them down and back together, while my friend worked the hoist. (this works great on early Novas, too).
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1551528&a=11769071

------------------
Wes
'63 Nova SS Conv 350, ported DartII, 268XE, stealth intake, th350, 11" Holeshot, 4WDB, 3.08 Posi
'65 Chevelle Conv 400SB, 268XE, ported SportsmanII, RPM AirGap, 1 3/4"hedman, front disc, 12 bolt rear
'62 Nova Conv 350, mild cam, ported camel humps with 1.94/1.5 valves

·
Registered
3,752 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the engine out of the car, and i strapped to the side inner fenders while i installed the engine. All the holes line up except two on each side. It had some interference on the frame, but i fixed that. Thank you for the help. Tommorrow i need to tackle the mounting hole problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pat Kelley:
You realize the actual, full name of headers is "FU*KING headers".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Rich

P.S. Love my Hedmans, hated my Hookers! (gee, if that lines not a joke waiting to happen...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.