Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went to go change out the gaskets on my headers and it turned into me taking the headers completely out and now im going to take em to get sand blasted. im going to call sandblasters inc in marysville at around lunch time and probably drop them off after work.

now there is only one question how should i paint them? should i keep them flat black, glossy black, aluminum, white chevy engine orange?? any colour that would look cool would be taken into consideration and the crazier the better. oooh maybe lime green lol what do you guys think??

· Premium Member
5,501 Posts
I'd go flat black or aluminum myself.

I pulled my drivers side header last night and swapped in a new gasket due to a bad flange leak. It's all back together with the exception of the drivers valve cover. I made a baffle for the breather but needed a couple of screws to install it. I'll pick them up at lunch today and it will go back together when I get home.

· Registered
94 Posts
Flat black.

An expensive trick to solve those leaky exhaust gaskets for headers on a SBC is to use those cheap replacement gaskets for stock manifolds. They cost around $5-7. I used them on a 83 Camaro and they worked like a charm. Install them and run the vehicle for a day or two and re-torque them. I never had another problem- sold the car 2 years later.

· Registered
1,754 Posts
Paint each pipe a different color and follow the paint scheme to where the collector mounts to the flange outlet. Wow, the 70's all over again; I think I'm having a flashback.....

· Premium Member
5,454 Posts
FYI...hi temp BBQ grill paint works very well! :thumbsup:
Yes, it does work. A friend used it on his chevelle with a 502, hooker 2255's and still looks good.

Paint each pipe a different color and follow the paint scheme to where the collector mounts to the flange outlet. Wow, the 70's all over again; I think I'm having a flashback.....
That would be awesome,,,,ok funny!!!!!! Shouldn't have said that because Ben will do it. :yes:

· Premium Member
2,829 Posts
Hang and wipe them down with wax and grease remover or paint thinner and paint them with the Duplicolor ceramic paint in flat gray. It should last well since they will be sand blasted and well cleaned before painting.

· Premium Member
5,161 Posts
Found a couple of good posts on header painting. I found one that said after sandblasting and a good wipe down with acetone or thiner to give them 3-4 coats of VHT then hange them and take a propane torch and heat them up by putting the flame in the big end and letting the heat rise through the tubes. Heat up for 3-4 min let cool a bit then do it again until it stops smoking and it should be baked on and good to go.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i got the headers back from the sandblaster and i put a couple coats on for now may need to touch up a bit tomorrow but by the time i got home and got at it i got hungry lol. they look pretty good im happy i just decided to leave them flat black go with the "theme" of the car and i decided in between coats to add on a little dress up item. i think the link will work and take you to my myspace albums. from there you can see how it has progressed from day one. gotta say though i was mega tempted to do the rainbow paint scheme but for whatever reason i couldnt find a purple.... gee wonder why haha

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbums&MyToken=88182fc8-112e-4a3b-ada5-72e47c31b8d4

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok so i got the headers all painted and they are lookin wicked. its still jacked up on the drivers side cause i was going to insall them right quick today... more on that. i also installed a set of hood pins... something to keep me busy and out there. well i was testing the pins making sure they still lined up as i was welding the nuts to the support (insert comment here). well i pulled the hood down and it lined up perfect. went to go bring it up and i heard THUD SMACK shortly followed by the sound of water trickling. i looked down and it was coolant..... looked under the hood and it was my cordless drill. i guess it fell from the car shaking (remember the drivers side is jacked up pretty high) and it fell............. right into my radiator and hit and cracked a couple of the lines running across. i put a drain pan under it and said to myself i will deal with it later kept working on my pins and went in for dinner shortly after and thats where im at... no headers partially installed hood pins and a cracked radiator. whoever said it wouldnt be fun if it was easy was right, but does it gotta be this much fun??? i guess i have to keep a closer eye on my inner retard.

· Premium Member
10,849 Posts
and thats where im at... no headers partially installed hood pins and a cracked radiator. whoever said it wouldnt be fun if it was easy was right, but does it gotta be this much fun??? i guess i have to keep a closer eye on my inner retard.
Sounds like a lotta fun you are having....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.