Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I go with a 3/8 header flange or a 5/16..? Or it really does not matter.......?

Any issues with the Hookers 2455 warping at the flange with the 5/16 flange?

I noticed the Hedmans have 3/8 flanges.........

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Thicker is better at the flange. Thicker will help prevent the flang sealing surfaces from warping and leaking. If you can get a 3/8" flange for the pipe side - that would also help.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Best thing for the discharge end of the headers, is to cut the stupid worthless 3-bolt crap off, and weld on one of these (they make them in a variety of sizes...)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-15925/

Most important thing at the head side is making sure that the header flange, the gasket, and the head surface all match. More often than most people are willing to admit, the gasket will have a very square corner of the holes that falls outside the round header flange hole, or the hole in the flange will extend beyond the flat boss on the head, etc.; if all 3 of those parts don't line up and clamp the gasket tight all the way around, it will leak, guaranteed, sooner or later. No matter how high "quality" of a gasket or header flange it is.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
If you get the Hedmans, you'll have both the thicker flange and ball-socket collectors.

Give up on the Patriots?

·
Banned
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you get the Hedmans, you'll have both the thicker flange and ball-socket collectors.

Give up on the Patriots?
Ok, the journey started with, looking for a 1 7/8 BBC header that was in my budget. I found the Hooker 2250, but too expensive. Then found the Patriot.... But the Patriot is back ordered for 3 weeks.... minimum. Nobody I called had them on the shelf. So I called Pertonix who makes em. They said their inventory was low on the 1 7/8 and did not know when they would have more. They have a few in there warehouse but they may be spoken for..... So I then started looking at the 2". Most of the different 2" headers are available on the shelf. I was looking at the Patriot, Hooker Comp and Hedman......

THe Hedman black is $219, $519 ceramic coated....I'm not paying $300 for the coated.... Plus it only has a 3" collector were as the others had a 3 1/2".

So now its down to the Hooker and Patriot...... I know the Hooker works for some guys with 69 chevelles, do not know alot about the Patriot Headers though. Then it came down to the flange. The Patriots are 3/8, the Hookers 5/16, so thats how we got to the flange question........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts