Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone tell if this is normal. these headers are hedman ceramic coated. I just noticed that they look like they have moisture on them. but it's not.there's no miles on headers but motor has been broken in. maybe 1 hr. total time between dyno & setting timing and carb. also I notice on stainless steel exhaust a lot of water dripping from connections. is that typical of stainless system. thanks, hmardown

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Looks like it either ran lean or timing was retarded.

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
Hedman says that ceramic coated headers should NOT be used to break in a new engine.

Which Headers are those? Regular coated or Elite?

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
Dan
there the 68198 elite headers.
Same ones I have for mine. (still in the box) Are you going to call Hedman?

I'll agree with Bill though. Looks like the timing was too retarded or carb too lean.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure about calling them. I took pictures so I can compare. I'm thinking maybe they'll burn off & become even. they were kind bland looking at first, where now some of the pipe is look polished. the timing is right on the money. total 34 degree's. far as the carb. it's an eddy # 1407- 750 manual choke. (which I believe are jetted different than electric choke carbs) I had that carb on my 396 & it was always way to rich. I haven't been on the road yet how can I tell if I'm to lean. thanks

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
You mentioned dyno...what did it show?
Also, I'm thinking you'll need more than 34 degrees total BEFORE vacuum advance is added. Probably more like 36-38+ and all in by 3K rpm.
And if you've got any type of a performance cam, at least half of that will be base timing.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same ones I have for mine. (still in the box) Are you going to call Hedman?

I'll agree with Bill though. Looks like the timing was too retarded or carb too lean.
Dan
I've been thinking & yes I'm going to call hedman. my mechanic friend that's been helping me had a good point. 1st. we haven't let that motor get over 160 degree's yet. I mean the hoods off, exhaust out the back plus I've only run it maybe twenty minutes. probally 1/2 of that was with just headers. 2nd. Mark from vortecpro timed it with my dist. he did 4 or 6 pulls on dyno. would that count as sufficient break-in ? I had to change timing but I couldn't have retarded it that much or that long. 3rd. the carb. I was using this carb. for 6yrs. it sat for maybe 6 to 8 weeks while I switched engines. also it always ran rich before. granted it's a 750 but that should work fine on this 467. as far as liking the headers, they're great. fit really well & look good.:confused: I mean it could just be the coating.thanks.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Exhaust gas temps are very different than engine coolant temps.
I've seen headers glow cherry red almost instantly upon fire up.

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
if Mark had it on the dyno the exhaust temps should be good, his motor's are ready to run. I have never "broke-in" headers in my life. Something's wrong with the coating....

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Davey
that's what I'm thinking. I'll put a call into hedman's on monday. I got them from summit but I'm sure they're going to tell me to contact hedman. thanks for come back. hmardown

·
Registered
257 Posts
Curious as to how this turns out, I also have a set of Hedman Elites for my yet to be fired 468. I do realize they have to be installed AFTER intial engine break in, but I would like to know what Hedman has to say about this situation.

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
Curious as to how this turns out, I also have a set of Hedman Elites for my yet to be fired 468. I do realize they have to be installed AFTER intial engine break in, but I would like to know what Hedman has to say about this situation.
Me too just because I'd like to know for future references.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts