Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm working on the head liner for a 69 chevelle. I have the bows installed in the new headliner and snaped back in the plastic holders on the roof inside the car. I'm taking the retaining strips off now, should I slide the new headliner up under the strip first then put the screws back in, it seems across the back window the teeth in the strip are pretty close to the edge and there is only about 1 inch to tuck the vinyl in if you tighten the retaining strip in first. How should I get the wrinkles out that may be left? Thanks and I will appreciate any help.My Dad always said everybodies job is hard and nothing is easy. After doing different kinds of work on this chevelle I agree with him now. I wish I agreeded with him more before he died.Thanks guys.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry guys I just seen you have to tighten the screws first because the headliner covers them . How do you get the headliner to catch on thoses little teeth on the retaining strip? Seems like by just tucking the vinyl in won't let it catch on the strips teeth. How much should I tuck in? The instructions say 2 inches but I don't think 2 inches will fit unless I pry down on the strip and push it back. Thanks for any help. Jerry

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I see how to do it,I think you straighten thoses teeth up so after you strech the headliner you push the vinyl down over the tooth then I guess you bend the tooth back down. I didn't reaalize that you have to bend thoses teeth back up. I guess it was a case of not reading the instructios good enough,they do say straigthen all the teeth. Please let me know if this sounds like the right way to do it. Thanks Jerry

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Seems like your doin' pretty good answering your own questions!
You're right though, 2" will never fit behind that retainer. What you could do, is cut it to 2", then start tucking. When you've got about 1/2" behind the retainer, trim it to within 1/2" and tuck that in. !' will fit. You shouldn't have to be bending the points. Make sure all are straight (flat) before you start. When you tuck in the material, the tension will be pulling against the points causing them to bite into the material.
Take it slow, check and recheck.
Rich

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rich
Thanks for the advice. I see what you mean by the tension pulling back and holding then. I kept thinking about not cuting unless your sure because if I cut it wrong it would make a guy sick.
Thanks again
Jerry

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there anyway to get the creases out of the headliner from where they had it folded when they shipped it and some weinkles?
I have been putting warm water and a hair dryer on it but it hasn't helped much .Thanks Jerry

·
Registered
920 Posts
I saw the shop that did mine used a heat gun. Not super hot, but better than a hairdryer. Worked the wrinkles out pretty easily.

Of course, that's why I paid them...

------------------
David Reinecke - aka - FINE 68
1968 Chevelle 300 Sport Coupe Deluxe
www.geocities.com/jdreinecke

1 - 7 of 7 Posts