Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got another one for you guys. Just bought a car from a guy who doesn't have any info on the engine, except that its a built 400 small block. I'm trying to figure things out. Like the heads. Other than being aluminum. No manufacturer's name stamp on the ends, only some numbers. Do these numbers tell anything wort knowing? Thanks.

Bumper Grey Automotive exterior Helmet Font

· Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Anything under the valve covers ? Usually between the valve springs you might see some cyl head manufacturer numbers or maybe even a logo under there.

· Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
11,606 Posts
Yesterday I was at the race engine shop that did my BB and he had a 383 SBC on the dyno that had alum heads with nothing on the ends, he said they were his normally used Liberty heads that he ports

· Registered
893 Posts
From the 2002 Pro TopLine Racing Heads catalog.
Pro Action Cylinder Heads
" 123 4000 20A " - 23° "Aluminum Lightning" cylinder head, 220cc intake port volume, 64cc chamber volumer, 2.02"/1.6" valve size(standard, seat ring will accept up to 2.125"), manganese bronze guides, Angle plug.
Description:
"Max Street performance, oval track, and drag. 383-400", up to 7500 rpm".

It's a good head, comparable to a Dart Pro-1. Like Dart, they also did an iron version too.(Iron Lightning)

Company was from New Zealand, sold out the aluminum line to Racing Head Service here in the US and you can now get them as RHS / Racing Head Service Pro Action heads.
Iron line was discontinued.

Nothing listed on the "1910", but I would guess either a date code or some other internal tracking number.

Only way to know for sure what the builder did with valve size you would have to pull them off and measure them. Could be the 2.02" they come machined for, could have been special ordered in a bigger size, or could have been ordered as bare castings standard size and altered by the builder.

You can find the flow data for standard and ported versions in the "chevy" section of the "Cylinder Head Flow Data at 28 Inches of Water" database here:
Stan Weiss' - Cylinder Head Flow Data at 28 Inches of Water -- DFW / FLW Flow Files for use with Engine Simulation Software (interport.net)

· Registered
893 Posts
Glad to help.

I never used a set of the aluminum's, but did several sets of the iron when they were available.....they were a little better finished than Dart's Iron Eagle out-of-the-box.
I wish the irons were still being made actually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.