Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i now have the 441 heads i was getting, the problem is they both have 2.02 1.6 valves but 1 head the intake valves sit lower than the exhaust (like they should) and the other head they are even (this is looking at the chamber. can this work correctly? they are different heads but same 441's could they be done correctly but maybe one more deep than the other? also on the springs, when the stock rotators are used doesn't that change the spring height?? just need some input here i tried a 194 valve in the 202 spots but they seem to sit too far down even in the head that the valves stick up even. and also wondering if this could change compression? thanks jk

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r (soon to be 355)

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
70 Posts
If they are mismatched 441's, my guess is that one has had machine work done to it like a 3 angle valve job or hardened seats installed. Either of these would cause the valve to sit lower in the seat. FYI, you cannot put a 1.94 valve in the place of a 2.02 valve. The only way to measure the difference in compression is by CC'ing the heads.

Either way, if they are musmatched, I'd have a machine shop check them out. It's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
concidering it has 202 260 valves i figured it has been worked and with the porting too, i just dont know if the valve height will hurt or not here is a pic of em the left is set down (like my 882's) and the right is up even with the exhaust valve see what you think http://members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/441.jpg

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
I'd definately have them looked at/cc'd. You want an uniform cc throughout each chamber.

------------------
Joe Y.
68 malibu
Bloomington/Normal, IL

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Yup, looks like one head had one (or more) more valve jobs done to it. You might want to cc one of each and see how far off they are. I'd freak if it was over 2cc, and wouldn't worry a stitch if it was less. I mean 2 cc you can get out of a chamber with a die grinder in short order . If more than that I would think the only option is new seats all the way around.

So if the deeper seats are 2cc larger than the shallow ones, you can open up the shallow combustion chambers by 2cc to even everything up if you want to "blueprint" your compression. So compression would drop as you got the 2cc larger chamber. But not by much, and the effect of uniform downforce on the crank may be greater than the minor loss of compression.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 12-25-1999).]

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so what kinda $ would i be looking at for new seals all the way around and maybe milling the heads even (and gain a little CR)?? i may want to take em back to this guy if it's not worth it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.