Team Chevelle banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Long time stalker, first time poster. Im building a 71 chevelle ss 454 block into a 496 stroker. Running forged rotating assembly, comp cams big muthr thumpr hydraulic roller cam/ spring kit. 049 head, new valves, stock sizes just new valves, seals, comp titanium springs. Any way my question was im running 18cc dome pistons what headgasket thickness should i go with. And Fel-pro VS. Cometic. Im running arp Head studs and eventually a weiand 177.

·
Registered
Ryan
182 Posts
Welcome. Mother thumper is designed to SOUND nasty by having an over generous amount of overlap. That overlap isnt going to be ideal for a blower. There are many better cams for your application in my opinion. Just FYI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They offer 3 different levels of the mother thumper. I picked the 2nd level. I read up on it. But my question was about the headgaskets

·
Premium Member
3,176 Posts
Probably should post in performance section not body shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey guys. Long time stalker, first time poster. Im building a 71 chevelle ss 454 block into a 496 stroker. Running forged rotating assembly, comp cams big muthr thumpr hydraulic roller cam/ spring kit. 049 head, new valves, stock sizes just new valves, seals, comp titanium springs. Any way my question was im running 18cc dome pistons what headgasket thickness should i go with. And Fel-pro VS. Cometic. Im running arp Head studs and eventually a weiand 177.
Hi and welcome to the site, if the engine is going to the machine shop I would have them get the ra correct and use the multi layer steel gasket. I have never had a problem with them. Also as for the 177 blower, iv been there done that and it’s been my experience that it does not have enough flow capability to feed a 454+cuin without super heating the intake charge. Basically your iat temps will be to high due to the pulley you’ll have to run to get the gains you’ll be looking for. Long story short despite what you do with timing you will run into detonation. Save your self the broken pistons and go with a larger roots blower if that’s what your set on, or preferably go with a pro charger or turbos. While it’s being machined don’t forget to make them aware it’s going to be forced induction so that they can add the appropriate ring gap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BES is assembling the heads and the short block. They know all my plans for the engine. And thank you for the advice on the blower. The engine will be going in my 85 firebird

·
Registered
Ryan
182 Posts
They offer 3 different levels of the mother thumper. I picked the 2nd level. I read up on it. But my question was about the headgaskets
I didn’t mention the head gasket because I don’t know the best answer for you and didn’t want to start talking about things I’m not the most knowledgeable about.

Regarding the cam, I was simply trying to point out that the exhaust valve is going to stay open long enough to bleed off some of the boost from your blower.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If Bischoff is doing your engine I would ask them the questions. One of the top shops in the US. Any doubters can look at the engine masters results.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Stick with BES for all your questions.
There are many ways to do things.
Stick with one shop. Like you appear to be doing .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts