Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I bought a th400 trans from a friend of mine. Looks like every other 400 except if has "HD" in big letters (heavy duty) casted into the case. I have the opportunity to sell the trans. (have no use for it right now and need the $$) and am wondering if anyone knows if there is anything special about a th400 with "HD" casted into the case. wanna make sure I'm not selling something I may want to keep.

Thanks for ANY info

------------------
Hot66ss
66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262
members.aol.com/chvellss

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know on truck 400's they have webing added to the bellhouseing area to make it stronger

------------------
John
Catapiller Mechanic
Salinas,Ca
70SS 454 Clone {in construction}

·
Registered
548 Posts
Joes408 does your HD400 have a slip yoke or a fixed yoke.Seems most of the trucks use a 2 piece drive shaft,with the slip joint on the second shaft.This should help ID the trans in question.Could also be a TH475...FRED

------------------

·
Registered
119 Posts
The heavy duty 400 that are in big trucks, like moterhomes and UPS type trucks have a special cut set of planeteries that are cut more straighter than the normal 400. Similar to what you would find in an M22. These 400s will have a distinctive whine in first and second.

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The codes on the tags reads

87-LTA 29414

This trans is a fresh rebuild (about 10,000 on it-easy miles) stage 2 shift kit and a new GM high capacity deep pan. What is this thing worth and begging a "HD" make it worth more?

Thanks Again

------------------
Hot66ss
66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
members.aol.com/chvellss

[This message has been edited by Hot66ss (edited 01-04-2000).]

·
Administrator
16,204 Posts
The HD on the 400 and the K on the 350 just refers to the strength of the case. These cases are more desirable and are usually found in 4x4's and motorhomes however they aren't so rare as make them expensive.
The numbers on the side refer to the application it was built for.

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 01-04-2000).]

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what do you think its worth the thing it hermedicly clean and I let my buddy use it about 9months ago while his 400 was getting rebuilt. took a ride in it and it breaks the tires loose and shifts HARD. needs nothing. what do the numbers decode as?

Thanks Again

------------------
Hot66ss
66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
members.aol.com/chvellss

[This message has been edited by Hot66ss (edited 01-04-2000).]

·
Registered
307 Posts