Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hearing about an earthquake that already caused a tidal wave in American Samoa. Bits and pieces on the radio say it's heading for Hawaii. Get to higher ground! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
Lets go surfing...:D

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
If bracing for impact means taking my normal lunch, then yup, we are. :D The bouys have shown a 1.5 to 2 foot tidal surge heading this way. We had one a few months back after a quake in Tahiti I believe, we were able to watch the water rise and fall a couple inches on our docks. This is pretty much the norm a few times a year here. The only ones that have done any real damage come from Alaskan quakes. :yes:

So far... ;)

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If bracing for impact means taking my normal lunch, then yup, we are. :D The bouys have shown a 1.5 to 2 foot tidal surge heading this way. We had one a few months back after a quake in Tahiti I believe, we were able to watch the water rise and fall a couple inches on our docks. This is pretty much the norm a few times a year here. The only ones that have done any real damage come from Alaskan quakes. :yes:

So far... ;)
I read that it was supposed to hit around 7pm local time.

Waves were 10-15 feet in Samoa.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
I watch too many tsunami shows on the Discovery Channel, I'd be heading for the hills!!!
Oh yeah, watch out for a volcanic eruption while you're going to higher ground!!
AAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
My GF's daughter is in Hilo, going to the Univ. there. My GF is worried about a tsunami hitting there.

I will tell her there is nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
We gauged tidal fluctuations in Honolulu Harbor this afternoon. Water was going out, coming back in pretty quick. First time, it was about 14" between low and high, within about 4 minutes, about 6" over what the normal tide should have been, as I'd marked high tide an hour earlier. Then it rose way above the high tide mark the second go-round, with a measured differential of 29" within 15 minutes from low-high-low. I marked the high and low marks off with a Sharpie on a new concrete piling under the pier. Pretty substantial water movement, for sure. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Oddly enough, all of the local news yesterday downplayed everything that really happened in Tonga and Samoa. News reports were saying no deaths and no reports of property damage. Wake up this morning, and everything's changed. :sad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts