Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read all available about this trans in the tech archives and still have questions about the 350c. they say it lowers freeway rpms but not as much as the 700r4? So how much will is kick down the rpms? any one use this tranny? What have you heard about it? What would happen if I had to slam on the breaks with the overdrive on?

Thanks for the help

------------------
Hot66ss
Los Angeles,CA

66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262
members.aol.com/chvellss

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
I would say the 700r4 would drop your RPM's at least 500,they say it is a pretty strong transmission,I am running a 350 turbo myself,less horsepower to run it, versus a 400, and as far as slamming on the brakes,what do you think it will do? downshift of course!afterall its an automatic...

------------------
1972 Malibu,461 cid.

G

·
The 700R4 will drop your RPM's about 30%, i.e., if you're spinning 3000 with your 350, you'll be spinning about 2000 for the same speedo speed with the 700R4. I just changed my tranny (83 Crystal Lite El Camino) to the 700R4, and wish I'd done it a long time ago--it's really great! Gas mileage also went up from about 15 on the road to around 21, and the car is almost silent on the road at 75 mph. The 350 is direct drive (1:1) in 3rd gear, and 700 is 1:1.3. Also, the 700 is faster off the line because it's got a lower first gear than the 350. It's especially great if you put a slightly higher stall converter in with it.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I think that there is a need for some clarification here. The 350C is not an overdrive tranmission. It has a lockup torque converter to improve efficiency. The ratios are not overdrive. The 700R4 is an overdrive transmission.

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was asking about the 350c not 700r4

thanks

------------------
Hot66ss
Los Angeles,CA

66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262
members.aol.com/chvellss

·
Registered
5 Posts
The lock-up 350 will drop your rpm about 400-500. When you wire the trans up, you run the power wire through a brake light switch. Closed when not using brakes, open circut when on brakes. The easiest way is to use a toggle switch to apply lock-up when you want it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.