Chevelles.com banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Everything is too expensive now. I went out for a basic sub, chips, and a drink at Jersey Mikes and paid $15. Half pastrami sandwich with a tiny tiny cup of cole slaw and a gatorade at Chompies and I paid $17. Mid 70s C10 longbeds are going for $10,000. The price of a new truck with 4x4 is 40-50k. I cant go to the grocery store without spending $120 a week. Forget about adding another classic to the collection. This whole world has gone crazy.
Try the independent mom and pop places, around here, they are the only ones that are still reasonably priced, plus the money stays local.

Steve R

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It sounds wrong on the surface but I like to buy after the economy collapses. I bought my shop for $170k. It sold three years earlier for $410.
We bought a place in Tahoe in 12 that had been on the market for over a year. Price kept dropping and dropping and we winged what we thought was a low ball offer figuring they would come back with a counter. Nope. They accepted.
We’re looking to downsize our fleet and I’m telling my wife we should sell two now which would leave us with two and buy the one we want after the economy crashes shortly. A repo or lease return or ???

·
Registered
507 Posts
I see it in a different light. Here's what I mean:

Years ago if you wanted say $10K for a car, you asked $12K and sold for $10K. But then douchebags got involved and all of a sudden they felt that it was OK to offer $7500 for a car listed at $12K. It seems that everyone and their brother is looking for a deal, or to rip someone off, or find a flip or Holy Grail. People want to negotiate the heck out of everything and it's frustrating if you want to sell.

I think it's forcing sellers to ask outrageous prices just to get their price. Nowadays if you want $25K for a car you need to list it for $35K because everyone and their brother is looking to beat you up on price.

Last year I sold my 69 Camaro to a guy who wanted it badly. He told me to name my price. So I threw a crazy high price at him for two reasons. Reason 1 is that I figured he'd try to beat me up on price, and reason 2 is because I loved the car and if I was really going to sell, I felt that I needed a good number to justify selling the car. Well this guy desperately wanted my car so he paid my price.

So now in mid-January, I have a ton of cash and I'm looking for a Musclecar. I had made the decision to pocket some of the money from my Camaro because I have 2 kids starting college soon. I was hoping to find something in the $35K range but I was prepared to pay $40K if I found the right car. After looking at a few OK cars, I found my 67 Chevelle SS. The seller listed the car for $40K OBO. He told me that he had several people who looked at the car and offered $30K which he considered an insult. I asked him where he needed to be to sell the car and he said the best he'd take was $37,500. I felt that the car was worth that amount based on it being a real SS car with some very nice modifications but I was really hoping to be at $35K. So I told him that I could do $35K in cash and let him think about it. Well he called a few days later and told me that he'd take the $35K if it was a cash deal which it was.

Personally I feel like I got a very fair price for a very nice car. I know what it would cost to build the car if I scored a roller and how much time would be involved and I don't want to go that route again.

Reactions: ACES1

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,172 Posts
I go on Ebay a lot to look at Chevelles. There was a nice 68 Malibu Convertible for sale somewhere in the mid $20's. The owner wasn't getting close to getting his buy it now price. Just recently it was at a Mecum Auction and went for the low $30's. It's on Ebay now for around $49k. I see prices increasing in most areas. 66 & 67 Chevelles have asking prices of up to $60k for a nice looking car with nice Malibus being up in the mid $30's. It seems like there are more project cars for sale for prices that I used to buy a nice old running car for.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Given the insanely high prices to have bodywork and paint done now, and all the horror stories and time that go along with it, I think any car that has good body and paint is going to fetch much higher dollars even if the mechanicals are junk just to reflect the cost already put in as well as the buyer not wanting to deal with a 2-3 year long (if you are lucky) saga of getting the body/paint done nowadays.

I know I paid a more for my car initially because it had good body/paint. I told my wife at the time, "even if I have to replace the entire drivetrain, I'm ok with that, because I have no body or paint work to do." (BTW - At this point, I have! >:) )

·
Registered
38 Posts

Years ago if you wanted say $10K for a car, you asked $12K and sold for $10K. But then douchebags got involved and all of a sudden they felt that it was OK to offer $7500 for a car listed at $12K. It seems that everyone and their brother is looking for a deal, or to rip someone off, or find a flip or Holy Grail. People want to negotiate the heck out of everything and it's frustrating if you want to sell.

I think it's forcing sellers to ask outrageous prices just to get their price. Nowadays if you want $25K for a car you need to list it for $35K because everyone and their brother is looking to beat you up on price.

Last year I sold my 69 Camaro to a guy who wanted it badly. He told me to name my price. So I threw a crazy high price at him for two reasons. Reason 1 is that I figured he'd try to beat me up on price, and reason 2 is because I loved the car and if I was really going to sell, I felt that I needed a good number to justify selling the car. Well this guy desperately wanted my car so he paid my price.

So now in mid-January, I have a ton of cash and I'm looking for a Musclecar. I had made the decision to pocket some of the money from my Camaro because I have 2 kids starting college soon. I was hoping to find something in the $35K range but I was prepared to pay $40K if I found the right car. After looking at a few OK cars, I found my 67 Chevelle SS. The seller listed the car for $40K OBO. He told me that he had several people who looked at the car and offered $30K which he considered an insult. I asked him where he needed to be to sell the car and he said the best he'd take was $37,500. I felt that the car was worth that amount based on it being a real SS car with some very nice modifications but I was really hoping to be at $35K. So I told him that I could do $35K in cash and let him think about it. Well he called a few days later and told me that he'd take the $35K if it was a cash deal which it was.

Personally I feel like I got a very fair price for a very nice car. I know what it would cost to build the car if I scored a roller and how much time would be involved and I don't want to go that route again.
This is exactly how it is supposed to work IMO. Everybody thinks they are Richard Rawlings "you want $50k for it.....I'm thinking $5k"

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

I understand where you are coming from but I see this slightly differently. If I had a car listed at $12K more than likely it would be worth that and I would expect $12K. So if someone offered me $7.5K that would be the end of the negotiation and I would be pissed that they wasted my time. I agree that mindset, flipper, leach, belief that they are smarter, whatever you want to call them is wearing thin and not appreciated by someone like myself. If they want the vehicle for less than my asking price they will have present good reasons why.
Also if I see a car listed for $70K that tI feel is worth $40K then I think the seller is just dillusional and not worth persuing.

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Given the insanely high prices to have bodywork and paint done now, and all the horror stories and time that go along with it, I think any car that has good body and paint is going to fetch much higher dollars even if the mechanicals are junk just to reflect the cost already put in as well as the buyer not wanting to deal with a 2-3 year long (if you are lucky) saga of getting the body/paint done nowadays.
)
I agree a solid body is worth more. Or possibly the rust buckets are not worth what the sellers are asking. The question is how much more?
I started this thread partially after viewing another thread where the OP was trying to value a 70 that he claims is an SS but has no proof to that effect.Not original engine. It may be but it has been long touted that no proof should be treated as a clone. The OP got value estimates from $8K-$17K plus. The OP claims its lazer straight and says he has been offered $20K.
Well to me it looks like a project. No interior installed, no gauges installed, no engine or trans installed, needs painted, no grill or bumpers installed. To me thats a project and more than likely is missing parts and some parts need replacing.Obviously nobody in their right mind would disassemble a car for no reason. More than likely the reason for doing so is the car needs restored.
IMO $20K for a 70 (claimed by seller SS) project car is crazy. We are talking non original engine,automatic,car here with no proof. I can see this car with an $85K asking price when restored.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Well (and others can chime in) - it appears that to take a car and have good bodywork and paint done is in the $15-20K range, depending on what you need done.

So, if you have a rust bucket that needs quarters, floors, maybe a few other bolt on body parts, sanding, scuffing, filling & paint, and that runs you $15-20K, then I think it would be safe to say that a solid body & good/great paint adds at least $10-15K to the price of a car that needs the above.

Now, if the car that needs the above body/paint costs you $5K, and you have to put it together, then consider that with good body/paint, and still needing to put it together, you are looking at $15-$20K base price for a basket case with good body/paint that needs assembly. And that is before you even get into anything mechanical, interior, electrical, etc.

Or, you can spend the $5K, then spend the $15-20K and a few months/years of your life on it to get to the good body/paint stage.

Is that realistic? Dunno. Is that reality? Yes, due to the cost of the body/paint.

I agree a solid body is worth more. Or possibly the rust buckets are not worth what the sellers are asking. The question is how much more?
I started this thread partially after viewing another thread where the OP was trying to value a 70 that he claims is an SS but has no proof to that effect.Not original engine. It may be but it has been long touted that no proof should be treated as a clone. The OP got value estimates from $8K-$17K plus. The OP claims its lazer straight and says he has been offered $20K.
Well to me it looks like a project. No interior installed, no gauges installed, no engine or trans installed, needs painted, no grill or bumpers installed. To me thats a project and more than likely is missing parts and some parts need replacing.Obviously nobody in their right mind would disassemble a car for no reason. More than likely the reason for doing so is the car needs restored.
IMO $20K for a 70 (claimed by seller SS) project car is crazy. We are talking non original engine,automatic,car here with no proof. I can see this car with an $85K asking price when restored.

Reactions: ACES1

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
All of the costs for purchasing and restoring these cars have gone up. It’s crazy. If you can find a car that you fall in love with that is DONE, the color you like, the drivetrain you would have selected, everything the way you would have done it, buy it. You probably can’t replicate it for the sale price.

For the over the top restomod guys look up Jousha Anthon on YouTube. He always has a few cars listed. He currently has a 67 Chevelle with a LS, 6 speed, Vintage Air, Dakota Gauges, Wilwood disc brakes with hydravac, full custom interior. This car is over the top. That paint job is pretty stunning. He’s asking $79k.
I tried to reverse engineer what he must have spent on this car and my only conclusion is he must be laundering money. I couldn’t buy the parts to build this car for $79k. Let alone the labor. Granted, he may be a dealer and buying parts cheaper but still.

Reactions: ACES1 and 540 Olds

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,170 Posts
For the over the top restomod guys look up Joshua Anthon on YouTube. He always has a few cars listed. He currently has a 67 Chevelle with a LS, 6 speed, Vintage Air, Dakota Gauges, Wilwood disc brakes with hydravac, full custom interior. This car is over the top. That paint job is pretty stunning. He’s asking $79k...
Linky:

Nice car if you're into restomods. I like the C-10s. :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
You can only pick two when it comes to buying a classic car: Desirable year/make/model, road-worthy, under $20k.

Reactions: Chris27

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Yeah the C10s are nice too. I like milder restomod. Look stock except for wheels and stance, everything new underneath. But I digress... My point in mentioning this guy and the price of his cars is how is he doing it and making money? I mean in this case $79k is a lot of money but there is no way I could duplicate it for $79k even if my labor was free.
So have classic car prices gone crazy. Yes, but it’s all relative.

Ps- not a fan of the blackout everything either.

Reactions: davewho1

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
I see the same too,,ive priced mine realistically and still got offers of half. gave up

Problem I have is getting someone to come see it. Guys window shop online and compare with old/half azz restos. Rather than condition its the trendy parts they seem to be buying kinda puts me out of the running. Ive never heard so much whining about AC. Really? Who drives these in 110 deg heat? Go buy a new car.

I do think of selling all 3 vehicles, getting an old honda accord and holding out for a deal/repo on a home, Id think they gotta pop up someitme but the lenders/guys in the banks usually snap those up leaving the leftovers noone wants on MLS. Something inside me says now is the time to liquidate and sit tight....not sure why.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
I see the same too,,ive priced mine realistically and still got offers of half. gave up

Problem I have is getting someone to come see it. Guys window shop online and compare with old/half azz restos. Rather than condition its the trendy parts they seem to be buying kinda puts me out of the running. Ive never heard so much whining about AC. Really? Who drives these in 110 deg heat? Go buy a new car.

I do think of selling all 3 vehicles, getting an old honda accord and holding out for a deal/repo on a home, Id think they gotta pop up someitme but the lenders/guys in the banks usually snap those up leaving the leftovers noone wants on MLS. Something inside me says now is the time to liquidate and sit tight....not sure why.
Actually, I drive my cars in 110 degree heat. My 66 Chevelle, 56 210 and 71 C30 all have Vintage Air that works fine. It's only supposed to be 103 today, but I'm headed 40+ away from home today to help a friend with a project. Tomorrow, he'll drive his 72 Chevelle over here to help me with one of mine, but his car has factory AC.

·
Registered
866 Posts
i have been spending a little time looking at '55 chevys to get a feel for the market. prices are all over the place. Rusted, unfinished junk for $20K, and sometimes something finished for $25K. I'm not sure stuff is selling well right now though, but i guess the old saying works always, "if its priced right, it will sell quick."

·
Registered
153 Posts

Then there is another side...Saw a '71 Chevelle SS 454 that was going to be at Mecum's in Las Vegas in 2017...Looked like what I wanted...Had some flaws on walk around but still a '71 Restoration was nice, could live with it...Had a price in mind...Unfortunately someone else wanted the same car and bidding went a little higher, but got it...Only money...Then you throw another 10+ in fixing all the little stuff, etc, etc...Now, not for sale...Never get what you put in...Foolish to think you can...Too much fun to drive...PS...Like everyone here gets, the ego from folks giving you a thumbs up...Priceless...

·
Registered
10,465 Posts

What price did you have it listed at?

Steve R

·
Registered
288 Posts
There's something very strange going on with this post covid economy. Prices are going up on seemingly everything. I just went to a fast food place yesterday and paid almost $9 for a "value" meal. The stock market appears to have lost all sense of reality. It continues to make new highs while the unemplyment rate is throught the roof. I'm completely at a loss at to whether to buy more stock or sell everything I have. My biggest fear too is that Covid is going to make a resurgence in the late fall/winter.

Part of it is that you've got Covid winners and losers. Myself, I've actually made out becuase I've been saving money on gas and food by working at home. Others, like my wife's niece who cuts hair, has really been hurt.

Reactions: DUKE 69
21 - 40 of 64 Posts