Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what I have noticed so far this season is prices seem to be higher than ever. This is supposed to be a depressed market with many people out of work or just hanging on. But prices for many classics seem to be quite high. Most of what I consider to be outragious prices are on projects, restomods, clones,etc. Not on the traditional premium cars. Anybody buying these overpriced vehicles? Are these sellers out of touch?

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
I had the same discussion with Alan F today. Yes, asking prices are way overinflated for all type of cars, to me anyway. I don't know who if anyone, is buying at these prices. I could use another project, but not in this market.

Reactions: 427L88 and von

·
Registered
1968 Chevelle Malibu, upgraded to a 396/TH400 from a 327/PG
567 Posts
I’m thrilled to pieces I bought last year. Both the seller and I were happy, that’s all that matters. I have a trusted friend that said I won’t get hurt with the price I paid. I don’t plan on selling, but, if the right offer came.......

Reactions: Steve R

·
Banned
1,295 Posts
I'm thinking most those out of work are lower wager earners that weren't participating in the market anyway. I bet the $3600 they are getting in unemployment (as of last week anyway) isn't enough to get them into this hobby. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1968 Chevelle Malibu, upgraded to a 396/TH400 from a 327/PG
567 Posts
I'm thinking most those out of work are lower wager earners that weren't participating in the market anyway. I bet the $3600 they are getting in unemployment (as of last week anyway) isn't enough to get them into this hobby. I could be wrong though.
$3600 a week. S**t, I got 2 weeks off and got $12xx per week and that was more than I take in 40 hours of busting my behind. I’m in the wrong gig. Thank god my wife makes good coin.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
So what I have noticed so far this season is prices seem to be higher than ever. This is supposed to be a depressed market with many people out of work or just hanging on. But prices for many classics seem to be quite high. Most of what I consider to be outragious prices are on projects, restomods, clones,etc. Not on the traditional premium cars. Anybody buying these overpriced vehicles? Are these sellers out of touch?
Are you looking at asking prices or what the cars are selling for?

I think there are many cars coming into the market from sellers that don’t keep track of prices, they are looking at price guides and listening to “friends” who see a freshly restored, concourse quality car with a more desirable color combination and optional higher performance engine and thinks their value is the same.

I have some friends that have been buying, one bought a rough matching numbers 70 Trans Am from the original owner, the other bought an R-code 63 or 64 Galaxy. Most everyone else I know with a stable job is waiting on the sidelines for the market to shake out before they spend their money.

I’ve seen many new members to the board lately. A pretty high percentage seem to be new to the hobby. I hope they are buying good cars, there is a lot of junk out there that shady sellers are trying to get rid of before the market drops.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
All I'm seeing is junk priced between 5 and 10K. I looked at CL yesterday, saw an early 60's Falcon 4 door with fender skirts (?) for 25K and an early 60's Nova 4 door for 22K. Really?
I look around for stuff I can flip, usually pick something up to take to the Pomona Swap Meet in October each year. I make enough profit to pay for the trip, and have a great guys weekend with my son-in-law and friends. I'm not seeing anything on CL or FB priced anywhere where I see a path to a profit.
Time is getting short for this year, may take over a bunch of parts this time, that is, if they have a swap meet in October. They've cancelled the last several ones due to Covid, and October is before the election, when the world will be free of Covid.

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
Dont have the conscience to stop paying rent...my retirement pays me a fraction of that unemployment maybe I need to get a job and get fired. lol
once foreclosures pick up, banks get hit here we go again...

One of these days need to hit Pomona swap meet its been many yrs
I thnk Steve is on the $ most read dreamer ads and price theirs similar.

Did it myself hoping to get lucky or at least a decent lowbal...nah. People that know these cars usually know true worth also.
CL is full of overpriced garbage. Theres a 67 SS heap, total needs everything project guy wants 15k for. LOL

·
Registered
256 Posts
When I was at Mecum Indianapolis last month, I thought that the estimated price ranges, as well as what the cars were actually going across the block for were reasonable, all things considered. If I had the money to spend, I could have made some deals I would have been quite happy with. I thought the prices were MUCH more out of line four years ago when I went to the that auction for the first time. It seems they have been slowly declining ever since. Of course you still have some mega-dollar Mopars, but Chevys, even Corvettes seemed reasonable to me.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,379 Posts
:cool: Asking prices seem to have gone crazy. I recently saw a black Chevelle Malibu Yenko Clone on eBay which is roughly equivalent to my car. Maybe a notch more desirable because it's got a stick.

Anyway, the asking price is 116K, which seems way high...

So, if anyone wants to buy my beautiful tribute, she's on sale for 100K. You save 16K right now.

·
Premium Member
1970 Chevelle SS454
1,650 Posts
Both real estate and classic car prices in my area are skyrocketing. It seems they always do the opposite of what you think is going to happen, especially during these times. Lots of people moving from Northern California to our area to escape the mess in California and the crowds. Classic car prices on the rise too as it's one of the few activities that you can still do or play with as everything else has been cancelled. Interest is definitely picking back up again. Go figure.

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
254 Posts
When I was at Mecum Indianapolis last month, I thought that the estimated price ranges, as well as what the cars were actually going across the block for were reasonable, all things considered. If I had the money to spend, I could have made some deals I would have been quite happy with. I thought the prices were MUCH more out of line four years ago when I went to the that auction for the first time. It seems they have been slowly declining ever since. Of course you still have some mega-dollar Mopars, but Chevys, even Corvettes seemed reasonable to me.

That's good because I registered to bid at the Mecum Auction held in North Carolina the end of June (Eddie Vannoy Collection)...I had my eye on some road art, but there was a '67 Chevelle SS 396 L34 there (Tuxedo Black, Black interior, wood grain steering wheel, bench seat,4-speed, headers, rear antenna)....very similar to my Deepwater Blue '67 L78....I discussed this Mecum Auction car with a few members on here privately before the auction and the prices ranged from $35,000, $45,000, and my guess of $55,000 to $60,000. The trim tag even looked to be fake, but the VIN was legit, as I checked it out. I liked the car a LOT, but I knew it was out of my reach & the timing wasn't right, so I opted to only bid on some Road Art (which ended up going for stupid high prices!).....the Chevelle ended up hammering SOLD for $90,000! :surprise: So, yes, I agree the prices are crazy high at the moment! I remember seeing a nice L78 Marina Blue '67 Chevelle SS 396 sell at auction about a year or so ago for $46,000 (if only I'd been at the auction I'd have it now!). You just need to know when the time is right, and be ready to pounce when the time is right and it's the right car! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Not only have I noticed the prices on classic cars going crazy, but I can't believe some of the prices on used parts as well. Seems both have gone over the roof. Neither will change as along as you have people who are willing to pay up.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not only have I noticed the prices on classic cars going crazy, but I can't believe some of the prices on used parts as well. Seems both have gone over the roof. Neither will change as along as you have people who are willing to pay up.

I've noticed the prices on some original parts that are not really fit for re-use on any car where it would matter, and even more outrageous prices on NOS parts, many of them items that nobody would ever CARE that they were NOS, like fuel sending unit lock rings, and other hidden parts nobody will ever see.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Everything is too expensive now. I went out for a basic sub, chips, and a drink at Jersey Mikes and paid $15. Half pastrami sandwich with a tiny tiny cup of cole slaw and a gatorade at Chompies and I paid $17. Mid 70s C10 longbeds are going for $10,000. The price of a new truck with 4x4 is 40-50k. I cant go to the grocery store without spending $120 a week. Forget about adding another classic to the collection. This whole world has gone crazy.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts