Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an AM Radio for my 67 Chevelle, FM,s are to high in price.
Can anyone tell me what would be the best way to go in adding some type of FM system that would work without alot of Cost and trouble.?

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
There used to be FM converters for AM radios. The AM radio would be tuned to a certain frequency and then the FM converter would be used to select the station. It hooked up so that the converter got the signal from the antenna and sent its output to the AM radio. They seemed to work OK, but I have not seen one in a long time. Maybe Radio Shack or eBay.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I just put away the Chevelle AM and installed a cheap aftermarket AM/FM. Gives me the news and plays some songs. I don't need the best system out there and didn't cut up the dash doing it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It had a cheap FM in when I bought it years ago, Now that I,m having it totally restored back to Original., I would like the Radio to be that also.
Gone to far to to have some thing that noticable ..

·
Registered
963 Posts
wayne, i picked up two audiovox fm converters off ebay.
brand new in the box.
$50 for one. $70 for the other one.
hides in the glove box and plays great.
david
p.s radioshack does not carry them. they are not mfg. anymore.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks 6t7
On what title did you look under, I,m always looking under Chevelle, Maybe Audio etc. Some times it,s really picky on the title you put.
Thanks again, will be looking and bidding..

·
Registered
963 Posts
wayne, i'm using both of mine.
search under "fm converter" on ebay.
one vintage radio repairman recommends the audiovox converters.
he doesn't recommend the aftermarket "replacing the guts" method for older radios.
david

1 - 12 of 12 Posts