Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removed and reinstalled the same headliner? There is nothing wrong with my headliner however I am doing an entire wiring harness (dome light) and am also putting in some sound deadener and have already done the rest of the interior with the deadener so I thought I might as well do the roof as well. I searched through the archives and found where some had headliners that were installed poorly so it was suggested that they remove and reinstall the same headliner but they never followed up with the results.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Might be apples & oranges, but back in the 1980's I successfully removed and reinstalled the original headliner in my 1970 Dodge Challenger.

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
I am not saying it can't be done. It just is not worth doing. Headliners are cheap and are very easy to instal perfectly. If your car was 100% original it would be one thing. The threads are 40 plus years old. They rot over time and the seams seperate. Put a new one in and never worry about it again. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I did it on a 70. If you are careful, there is nothing to it. I restitched the seams with black thread to reinforce them.

·
Banned
7,909 Posts
Brad...

I say it depends on the car, your abilities...

If it was a super rare car...I would remove the headliner and personally hand stitch the threads with new upholstery thread...

If it isn't that rare and you don't feel it's worth it...I would just buy a new one...that's what I did...

·
Premium Member
13,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I guess I'll just evaluate the condition of the headliner when I take it down. Don't know if it is an original. If it is an original then it would probably be worth putting in new. I would imagine that the extra material hanging over the edges would make working with a new headliner easier.

·
Premium Member
13,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys were right. Although it didn't appear so it was definately dry rotted so I guess its the original. Also after thinking about reinstalling the old headliner I assume one would have a difficult time getting the existing cut outs lined up perfectly with the old fastner holes!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts