Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in taking my sound system from my S10 and putting it into my 72. Has anyone done this? Right now the only thing that I can move from my S10 is my Pioneer Head Unit, my MA Audio 500x2 amp, my (2)12" IDQ's, and my two pioneer speakers(I got them from OPG, I think they're called Elcamino Riders or something with El Camino). I need some tips and ideas about chevelle audio installations please.
Thanks,
Trever

------------------
Trever Maas
TC Member #: 1432

1972 Chevelle Malibu
Mohave Gold
L65 350/M38 TH350
2.73 AXL RATIO

1948 Chrysler Windsor
Flathead 6/Semi-Auto
4 Speed Column Shift
Fluid Drive Transmission

"Both Undergoing Slow Restorations"

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have a 1300 Watt (peak) system in my 69 SS. What is it you want to know?

Custom Audio radio with a 6 CD changer in the truck, mounted above the rear tire between the trunk hinge and quarter panel.

Speaker location:

1) Two 3 inch speakers behind the grill at the middle of the dash a few inches back from the windshield. Buffered with split vacumn hose to ensure no vibration with the grill.

2) A 4" by 5" speaker mounted into each kick panel.

3) Two 6" by 9" speakers mounted into the rear shelf. (Welded in extra support for them)

4) A 10 inch sub woofer mounted into a custom built box (3/4 inch thick MDF board with internal dampening) centered unter the rear shelf. The box fits tight between the floor of the trunk and the package tray and is angled to the rear seat support structure.

The amps are mounted to the back of this custom box.

A 50 amp fuse is at the battery and 4 guage wire runs behind the fender; through a gromment into the car; under the carpet and behind the rear seat to a distribution block attached to the right side of the sub woofer box. The CD control wire, the power up system control wire and speaker wires to the front are tied to the main supply line and all wrapped for protection.

Crossovers are set to direct vocal frequencies to front center, vocal and mid range to kick panels; filtered mid and low to the rear package tray and low to the sub-woofer. The sub-woofer is NOT SET TO THUMP!!!!! It is set for true frequency response.

The system has near zero distortion and has a good sound stage presentation with vocal front and instrumentation rear. In other words; it sounds live.

PS: I really know NADA about stereo stuff so my wife ordered everything for me, set up the speaker location and crossovers and even got the requirements for construction of the sub-woofer box for me. I just built the box and put everything where she told me to put it.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)

68 Corvette - 383 CI, 427 HP, 700R4, 12.56 @ 108 MPH
69 SS Chevelle - 502 CI, 610 HP, 2004R, 1320 unknown
97 Z-28 - totally stock still under 14,000 miles

"Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar."
*Drew Carey

[This message has been edited by Redrum (edited 07-25-2002).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Redrum.....I also mounted my cd player in the trunk but centered mine. Did you notice that your cd player has power on it all the time with the key off and will drain your battery in a couple of weeks if you haven't started it?
After discovering the problem was the cd player I always unplug the cord on the side of the cd player since its so easy to get to. I think that is a poor design by Custom Auto Sound and told them so but they didn't care. Did you buy the radio with the remote control that will work up to 40 feet away? I did but wonder why, I never have the remote out of the car! :O

My Chevelle has the antenna in the windshield and it doesn't work for crap with the radio though. I wonder if there were different windshield antenna's for FM radios back then? Anyone?

------------------
http://www.oldcarclub.com/1971_chevelle.htm

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mr454...

Your CD unit should have a remote power lead that attaches to your head unit. When power is applied to the head unit via the ingition, it powers the CD unit.

------------------
70 Impala Sport Coupe (350)
67 Chevelle (I wish, still looking and saving)
http://www.geocities.com/ledsled_26m

·
Registered
49 Posts
ledsled...

There are 2 power lead wires that hook up to the SecretAudio. The red wire is the main power that gets switched off when the key is turned off and the yellow wire is for memory retention of all the preset buttons. The radio shuts off when the ignition is turned off and back on when the ignition is turned on. Preset radio stations stay programmed.

There is an 8 pin cable that plugs into the radio and into the cd player.

Another member in our local car club has the same problem with his battery going down if his car sits and the cd player is plugged in. I agree with you that when the radio is turned off that the power should be shut off to the cd player but it isn't. I've even thought of verifying which pin stays hot to the cd player and opening up the cable and installing a switch. It's just easier to just unplug the cd player in the trunk.

Do you have a SecretAudio stereo system with cd player?

------------------
http://www.oldcarclub.com/1971_chevelle.htm

[This message has been edited by Mr454 (edited 07-29-2002).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts