Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever just claened thier dash real good with degreaser and wax remover then painted it with a generic black spray paint(KRYLON or something) as opposed to the SEM stuff.
Just trying to save a little money.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello, I finished up a 69 El Camino last year. I sanded the metal part of the dash with 320, and then 500, primed it with Krylon primer and painted it with Krylon Gloss Black. It came out slick...not concours, but very nice and inexpensive. It can definitely be done. Afer you get it sanded down, hit it with a good wax and grease remover, then tack rag it before you spray. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Just did it this weekend. I used OPG's dash black but took a chance and used an off the shelf can of generic spray paint for the dark green that I thought would match well. It did - it is almost a perfect match.

And, yes, do use a degreaser (like simple green) and tack before you spray. Be careful with the sanding because you can lose detail.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got done painting every piece of plastic and some metal from my interior and used SEM. It turned out perfect. I do believe that I could have used another paint but the thing about SEM paints is that if you use their Sandfree before applying the paint it actually bonds to the plastic a lot better. I have used Krylon stuff before and it tends to chip off over time. You would only be saving yourself about $20 by using an alternative paint anyways so why not go for top shelf. SEM Landau Black spray can = 8.50/can SEM Sandfree = 12.50/can SEM Soap = 10/tube (I think). To do the dash you could get away with 3 coats which is one can of Black. The Sandfree goes quite a ways because you only use one coat. The soap may not necessary but I did not want to take any chances.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm with Greenmachine. Stick with the SEM products. It's what the pros use

I did part of the interior on my 71 last year and in the process of finishing the rest of the interior now, vinyl and all the hard plastics. Plus I sprayed a coat of low lustre clear at the end for added protection.

Andy
MCC #206

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I'd stick with original paints from Year One or OPG. I'll see if the pictures of my 71 dash are still in the showroom and post them later.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Only two success stories isn't making me all that optimistic. I was wondering if anyone could comment on the longevity of Generic paint as opposed to going the whole SEM route.
Also it seems to me that I could wipe the plastic down with some acetone then spray the generic stuff because the acetone opens the pores of the plastic and vinyl.
Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
645 Posts
KK are you talking about painting the dash pad, or the entire dash housing?

If you paint the housing with spraypaint and it's just done over a clean surface you're going to have problems with it bonding correctly. Any little thing that touches it will probably scratch it and chip off. If you have it clean, your best bet is to just get some thinner, and wipe away the original paint or dye down to the plastic chrome, then do the SEM route. You will have a cleaner end result and the dash will hold up alot longer than if you just rattle can it. I've done both, and I would never rattle a dash again. On another note, rattle paint is thick and will fill in any grain, crevises and creases that the dash will have, where the SEM Dye will cover the surface and bond to it without distorting any grain patterns. I put about a half full can onto a 70 dash pad, and the grain is still sharp and clear.

good luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was talking about the plastic part. I have a new dash pad. No rattle can is ok, I'll do the SEM route.
Is SEM's landua black the same thing you use for plastic and vinyl. I know the preps are different.
By the way can someone walk me trough prep procedures they have had good success with.(longevity, looks, cost)
List of parts that need to be painted/dyed:
dash(all the hard plastic)/seat belt base covers/headliner windlace/rear view mirror base cover(vinyl)
Thanks for knowing stuff I don't guys. I appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts