Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of New black door panels that i want to dye for my 72 chevelle. Im changing my interior to red from black. My question has anybody tried this before and what where you results? Did you have any problems with it wearing off? and what did you do about the chrome trim did you remove it or masked it

·
Premium Member
4,585 Posts
I painted green door panels black.It's been 18 years and haven't worn off yet.I can't remember what I did with the chrome...probably taped it off.Can you remove it?

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I would imagine that if you tape that chrome tape it will come off.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My interior was originally a tan color that the previous owner died/painted black. The tan is showing through in multiple places. I plan on replacing it when I put the car back together.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Typically dying door panels is not recommended because they see heavy wear...rubbing where the door closes around the edges and just a lot of handling in general which does wear the color off.

Your real problem is going red from black...black is very difficult to cover so it will take multiple coats to hide the black....the trick to vinyl dye is to keep the coats very thin and only until hiding is complete...so going red is going to take multiple coats which could end up peeling.

If you do decide to try it, make sure everything is super clean!!!! Clean them with strong soap and water and then a wax and grease remover.

Steve

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Black seems to be a very popular color. Sell them for what you can get and buy new red panels. You're going to spend money on all the cleaners, adhesion promoter and paint anyway. Might as well put that towards new instead.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
You're going to spend money on all the cleaners, adhesion promoter and paint anyway. Might as well put that towards new instead.
Have to agree with this statement.
I recently bought a qt of interior paint to paint my console, and a few other trim pieces in the car----paint alone $132

Actually---it is a dye and is ready to spray right from the can.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Four years ago I dyed my door panels from parchment to black. The repop panels were just too "cheap" for me. Cleaned the hell out of them, taped the chrome strips off, sprayed them and they were still looking good this year when I sold the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts