Chevelles.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken a SS dash cluster and replace the factory gauges with Autometers?
If so, do you have pics?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
It's been done, but it is a very difficult job. I used guages from a mid 80s Chevy pickup in mine. It's still a lot of work, but I was able to modify the clamshells that house the light pods so so they could be fitted with guages. (It was a warning light cluster originally.)

This is the cluster after I installed the guages and repainted the needles.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've checking out the prices of the gauges in OPGI and on eBAY and frankly it's out of my current budget to spend $750 on just gauges.
I can find a set of Autometers for $3-400.
I know it's not the "stock" look but I thought it'd be a sweet looking custom job.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
The dash came out of a 72 Monte Carlo. $50

The guages cost $15 from a local salvage yard.

The sending units were under $20 (new from O'Reilly's).

The Camaro tach was $35 off of Ebay. I had to buy an entire cluster, but I turned around and sold the guages for $20, so the net cost of the tach was really $15.

You can build a cluster on a budget, and you can make it look nice with the right parts.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TC it's for a 70.

Ranndy, That looks pretty good. Thanks for the idea. I didin't think of that as another option.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I fiberglassed over the holes in my dash panel in my 64 Elcamino and then made new holes for the auto meter gauges. I used led's from radio shack for turn signals and high beam indicators. I have pics on my website.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I saw an ad in Super Chevy this month for someone selling a conversion kit that allows just what you are looking for. The kit was complete with gauges, mounts and all the wiring you need. I think the price was around $365 dollars. The kit used reproduction gauges and printed circuit, so it looks like it came from the factory with the gauge package.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw an ad in Super Chevy this month for someone selling a conversion kit that allows just what you are looking for. The kit was complete with gauges, mounts and all the wiring you need. I think the price was around $365 dollars. The kit used reproduction gauges and printed circuit, so it looks like it came from the factory with the gauge package.
Is there a link or catalog to get this???

Thanks for the help and info!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I just found the ad. It is on page 56 of the August 2004 Super Chevy. The company is Muscle Factory in California. 1-800-762-0317

1 - 14 of 14 Posts