Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a tilt steering column out of a '71 chevelle 4 dr. I put the column in my '70 chevelle SS and I noticed that the switch(not the key switch) is different and that the connectors will not work on the tilt switch. Has anyone done this conversion and do I need to get the other wiring harness off of the 4dr? I would hate to do that, cuz the 4dr has air and my car doesn't, so I would have a bunch of extra wiring (messy). I tried changing the switch off my original column and putting it on the tilt, but then the ignition key works backwards and I doubt it will start the engine? Need Help!

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
Try turning the plug over, I put a 69 Impala tilt into a 74 GMC and thats what I did. It was a little difficult because the wires had been in one direction for so long they wanted to twist back around, but once I got it plugged in it was fine. Philip

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 05-21-99).]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hugh, If you are talking about the two block connectors (one should be brown) that plug into a rectangular assembly on the column you need to switch out your original for the one that was on the tilt column--they are different. But the good news is your harness connections are the same just twist them around so they can plug in 180 degrees (upside down). If you are talking about the long narrow connection that has wires on it for your turn signals etc, that can be modifiec to work. On one side should be the letters E<F<G<H<J<K< etc. Using a narrow screw driver remove the wires from your original black housing on the original non-tilt column, and carefully replace them one for one on your tilt column wire housing. Because the two pieces started out together they will go right back together. Good luck. Ted

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.