Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a question maybe someone could help me with...

I was going through my old harnesses (2) and trying to determine what was what (one I think is non-Chevelle, etc).

On the harness for my 66 SS Chevelle (WITH guages), the ignition switch connector was cut off. I do not see any Dark Green wires, but the factory (repro) diagram shows two Dark Green wires coming off one terminal. I know one of the wires is supposed to go to the "Temp" light, but since mine has no "Temp" light, I wouldn't have this. I think the other went??? (sorry, I forgot, but maybe the bulkhead?)...

Anyway, I don't see these Dark Green wires, but I don't think they are necessary on my car...

Does anybody know?

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
One lead heads down to the bulkhead connector and out to the temp sender. The other should go over to the temp gage.
If you trace them out and find out if that is correct:
You may consider disconnecting them from the ignition switch and tying them together. If you don't the temp gage will peg as you start the car because the green wire gets grounded.

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may consider disconnecting them from the ignition switch and tying them together.
John,

That was my question, There are currently NO wires in the harness at the ignition switch (so no wires to disconnect). Are those wires (to the ignition switch only) needed. I could see where a non-guage car, you want the bulb to illuminate before starting (to insure the bulb works).

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The wires may be needed. See if they go to where I think they go to.
No, they don't need to be tied to the ignition switch. That's why your orginal harness doesn't have them tied there.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
The factory gauge harness for 66 didn't have the green wires. The purpose of the wires at the ignition switch is to test the temp light on a light dash. The switch grounds the circuit when in the start position.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts