Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to convert from a 72 column shift, sweep dash, to a ss guage dash with floor shift. I'm wondering, can I convert the existing dash harness or do I just need to get a new harness? I also do believe that the engine, forward light, and rear harness should still work, is that correct? Thank's for the help. Dave.

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Technically the car is a 72, I'm changing the front end to 71 grill and bezel's. It had a sweep dash, and I just got a repop SS dash from Year One. And I'm just beginning to figure out what all I need to do to get it to work. I haven't ordered anything else yet. Just wondering if I need a SS dash harness or can I convert the one I got?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Need one for a 72. The 70/71 SS gage dash harnesses are different. You will need to run a couple of extra wires under the hood but otherwise the under hood haresses will work.

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a 72 dash harness, but I need to get a ss dash harness for 72 so it will plug into the firewall? I may need to just look into getting a whole new 71 harness for the car. probably would be the easiest, smarter way to go. Who sell's the best aftermarket harness's? Thank's for the help John. See ya later, Dave.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
"I've got a 72 dash harness, but I need to get a ss dash harness for 72 so it will plug into the firewall?"

Yes, because the wiring under the hood is 72. If you search on EBAY there is no such thing as a 70/71/72 SS gage dash harness. Some people list them that way. The 72 is different.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I think that what your are saying is that the car IS a 72 with a 72 sweep harness and what you want to do is convert to an SS gauge harness. If so it can be done if you are good at wiring and reading wiring diagrams. I have done it on several 70-72 cars. a lot of extra grounds and dash light wires can be eliminated. You will need a 12 pin SS gague cluster connector that can be had from a junkyard, a lot of early camaros had the same connector. Cut the connector off and leave about a foot of wire. Then it is just a matter of locating the wire from the old light/gauge and splicing into the correct wire for the new connector. A lot of extra grounds and dash light wires can be eliminated as the sweep dash had multiple and you only need one for the SS cluster.

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Steve S:
I think that what your are saying is that the car IS a 72 with a 72 sweep harness and what you want to do is convert to an SS gauge harness. If so it can be done if you are good at wiring and reading wiring diagrams. I have done it on several 70-72 cars. a lot of extra grounds and dash light wires can be eliminated. You will need a 12 pin SS gague cluster connector that can be had from a junkyard, a lot of early camaros had the same connector. Cut the connector off and leave about a foot of wire. Then it is just a matter of locating the wire from the old light/gauge and splicing into the correct wire for the new connector. A lot of extra grounds and dash light wires can be eliminated as the sweep dash had multiple and you only need one for the SS cluster.
I think that this is the route that I need to go,I got a really nice harness that came with the car. I think that finding the 12 pin connector could be the hard part. Does anybody repop this?

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not going to try to shove a 70-71 and a 72 harness together. I'll use a complete set-up for70-71 or 72. Just wondering how hard it will be to switch a 72 sweep harness to a gauge set-up.The fact that I turned the car into a 71, only entail's that I switched the park lamp/turn signal bezel's and the grill. The rest of the car will remain 72. I'm not going for a authentic restoration, just what I want. There is a guy in member classified's who has a 72 gauge with a/c harness that I'm trying to get. That might just be the best way out of this. I can't find a car local that has the plug that I need, and the people that I talked to, won't sell the plug seperate. Only with 400.00 dollar's worth of wire's attached. :mad:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I beg to differ, I have done it several times and it is not that bad if you are electrically inclined and have wiring diagrams. Just need a donor 12 pin gauge connector (many 70's camaros have the same connector. FInd a donor and cut the connector out leaving about 12in of wire. Then it is a matter of splicing the malibu sweep wires to the correct gauge connector wires. You will have to move the gen light wire in the bulkhead connector(amp gague wire) and add one amp wire from gauge connector to bulkhead. (The same thing you would do to convert an idiot cluster to gauge).

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll have to agree. I'm halfway through it and it's going very well. As soon as I find the plug I'll be done, with probably less then 2 hour's work into it. It's really not that bad of a job. Dave.

·
Registered
844 Posts
You can find the 12 pin conectors on the Chevy vans. The 70 to 89 body style's I think thats the years of the van. Plug is on the printed dash board, like the Chevelle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts