Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 Malibu with a 327 and the harmonic balancer keeps comeing off.
there isnt a bolt to hold it on, the guy a summit said this was normal and try and drill and tap the crank . Is there a trick to keeping the press on type balancer from comeing off without drilling and taping?

Thanks for all the help and guidencs in advance

Bob

·
Administrator
17,145 Posts
If it keeps coming of after being installed correctly ,either the crank snouts worn down or the dampners worn on the inside.
You have the tools to measure the crank snout & dampner?
I'd try a different dampner.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Bob,
Welcome to Team Chevelle!

Without a threaded snout ....
Less likely the crank will be small, more likely the dampener will be big....
Think of it this way, swapping on a new dampener is easier than a new crank....

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
If it is original, the rubber is probably shot and you need a new unit anyway

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
If the damper "keeps coming off", I'd suspect your crank bearings are not long for this world.

I had a 283 that tossed a damper; about three months later it tossed a rod.

To me, they were related somehow--the crank 'n' rod vibrated enough to wipe out the damper; or the damper died and the crank vibrations took out the bearings.

I'd be tapping that hole; and securing the damper with a bolt.

I'd also be pricing out engine parts...

·
Super Moderator
13,297 Posts
I have a 67 Malibu with a 327 and the harmonic balancer keeps comeing off.
Bob
Bob,
I hope I am wrong, but if it has come off more than once, the snout of the crankshaft is probably also worn pretty badly. Its a pretty easy job to drill and tap the crank for a bolt, but it probably wont fix your real problem. I would drill and tap it, then get a new damper and see how hard it is to install it with the correct tool. It should be pretty hard. If it just slides on, or goes on real easy with the tool, then the crank is messed up. If you have a good micrometer, you can measure it too.

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Bob,
I hope I am wrong, but if it has come off more than once, the snout of the crankshaft is probably also worn pretty badly. Its a pretty easy job to drill and tap the crank for a bolt, but it probably wont fix your real problem. I would drill and tap it, then get a new damper and see how hard it is to install it with the correct tool. It should be pretty hard. If it just slides on, or goes on real easy with the tool, then the crank is messed up. If you have a good micrometer, you can measure it too.
Bill,

I may be wrong but i think i remember seeing stock units to replace those that are undersized and require going to a machine shop to be honed to fit the crank, It was a stock replacment for these engines, I think Pioneer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it has only came off once when i started it. after i got it back on it seamed lose. i have drilled and taped it. wasent that bad with a mag drill i also found that the power sterring pump has a bad viberation could this be the reason it came off to start with

Thanks
Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts