Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was just in the process of putting a new carpet and pad in my car, and was scraping the old padding material off.

As I was doing this, I was wondering to myself if asbestos or any other nasty material like it was ever used in any part of the car?

Thanks everyone, good luck in a cancer-free restoration!

------------------
70 Impala Sport Coupe (283)"Green Goddamn!"
63 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 (394)"Hoopty"
66 Chevelle (I wish, still looking)
http://www.geocities.com/ledsled_26m

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
There's always a lot of jokes, but this is one area I take seriously.

I'm not sure on the padding/sound deadner, but your rear wheel wheels, underbody, portions of the lower firewall area DO contain asbestos fibers This was to reduce noise and absorb road/engine heat.

As for the "fluff" that is found in the dash cut into squares, I called a tech at YEAR ONE and according to him the primary component of this is MOLE HAIR! Yes, that's right, the little animals that live in the ground. The hair is spun around and formed with chopped up rags and other materials.

Now that's just one opinion though. Not sure if that is the case. I am sure about the asbestos as I got that from GM literature.

The bottom line is I'd use a particle mask on anything questionable if it's raising dust just to be on the safe side. Wetting things down with water may also help to contain free dust particles.

Anyone know if the original power steering fluid contains PCB's ?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You youngins' are funny!
Guess with all the work I've done on mine over the last 30 years or so, if there was any hazardous material in there, I would have been gone by now! Now, if I could just explain to my son why he has 11 toes.
Hey, I live in NJ, why worry over a little PCB!!

------------------
MalibuJerry350
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
540,000+ miles on car.
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
A friend and neighbour's father died of cancer about 7 years back. He never smoked, but he performed numerous frame-off restorations ('30 & '31 Packard phaetons, '48 Chrysler Town & Country covertible, Nash Metroplitan). I would take the necessary precautions around brakes and clutches because of asbestos. Also used motor oil contains heavy metals (lead babbit etc.) by the time its ready to be recycled.
They never used to make a fuss over asbestos; why I remember in High School handling asbestos in science class. It also was frequently an exposed wrap on many pipes in schools.
One thing to be careful with is the original leaded paint that these cars used when new (I'm thinking of sanding dust here). For painting with modern polyurethane paint you must wear proper respiratory equipment or you will be messed up for life!
I don't think your carpet underlay was made of anything too foul, but if it gets mouldy be carefull! Some spores cause liver damage.
I'm sharing this info not to give hypocondriacs another reason to be paranoid, but rather to advise caution. I'm not sure about the late Skip Cain's cancer but I do remember my neighbour's cancer.

·
Premium Member
16,940 Posts
Man, I thank God all the time that my old boss wisely and prudently decided to only fire up the trichlorethylene degreasing tank once or twice in my whole tenure as a machinists apprentice. We still used the stuff, but man, them vapors will really hurt ya.

Like the time I took an old Polish Radom 9mm I had just finshed practice buffing on. It looked mint so I took it to a guy using the old cyanide based bluing method.

Cyanide, if ya dont know, first stops the cells ability to use oxygen and then breaks down the cell wall.

Aaaanyway, this guy was showing me his WWII prised "booty", an officers engraved Walther PPK in .32, hacking and wheezing.

But that light blue that only the cyanide method gives made my first real polish job stand out. It looked totally OUTSTANDING and fetched a whopping $150 net after consignment fee. For a POS "firced labor" 9mm I bought for $35. + $35 for the guys death bluing job.

This stuff is nasty and we dont know what really causes cancer. I few microns of nasty stuff inhaled, absorbed thru your nose, etc will eventually, and lingeringly, nail your sweet arse to the wall.

Heck, even used motor oil isnt nice stuff in that regards.

So dont think you're Johnny Gearhead if you dont, or Chip the anal Geek if you do, but use protection on your hands/face as much as you can. Respect the lethality of these chemicals.

Of course, if you're still smoking Marlboros, it just dont matter none.

------------------
Gene Chaas
Gold Member 62/ACES
67 SS 427

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't know if there's asbestos inside the car, but I wouldn't be surprised. A lot of gaskets contained asbestos in the bad old days too so if you're grinding them off, I'd use a dust mask.
Brake pads are brutal. I remember installing brake pads (you know, drill hole in the pad material, rivet... then grind the finished product to the right radius to fit the drum. Pretty sure those were asbestos... cough cough).

Another thing - anyone out there ever met someone who worked in an automatic transmission shop for more than 5 years and still has all his/her hair?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hey Malibu Jerry; Do you know why NJ has the most hazardous waste sites and CA has the most lawyers ???- - - -NJ had first chioce

I'm a NJ escapee- - - 31 years ago- - I recommend it!

------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hey 283v8,
Actually, NJ has more lawyers per capita then ANY other state! Of course it also has one of the highest income levels too. We must be doing something right, with all the people who moved here in the last 20 years or so!
Hey, and now that "our own" Gov. Whitman is the new EPA chief, we can share our EPA regulations with the rest of the country!

------------------
MalibuJerry350
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
540,000+ miles on car.
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Probably not as much of an issue, but lead was used to fill in your roof-to-quarter panel seam.

[This message has been edited by Gene McGill (edited 02-28-2001).]

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I was wondering why all the moles around here were bald!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.