Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hardest thing to do is find a SS Chevelle. I have been in the market for ummmmmm about five years. And when I say in LOOKING I mean
[email protected]@KING. but I don't want the NEXT mans resto
job I want to do it my damn self. I want to make all the trips to this shop, and this yard, and this parts store, and that interior shop. I am not a fan of buying a fully or even partiallty restored SS. My favorite year is the 1970 buy the way. I would love to lay my hands on a sorta rusted, rough interior, flat tired, unappreciated 70 SS 396/ 454. But I am dreaming. Here in Mich. all the Chevelles are hidden in some mechanics garage. Not receiving any attention. DAMN!!! why couldn't I be the son of one of those mechanics!!!
My love for the Muscle Cars will never die....even if I never lay my hands on a SS.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Was at Bob McDormans annual Corvette show a couple years ago. Watched the auction that includes non Corv. cars. Had a bunch of junk and a couple pretty rare cars. One was a 70 SS Chevelle with a 427, automatic I think. Real rough. Leaking everything, would hardly run, engine covered with grease, interior looked like a couple bears got into a fight in there. The body was only slightly rusted and had (looked like) original paint, straight. The car had spend last many years in a barn and looked like it, but sure looked completely original, probably even the belts.
This car was interesting for sure. I thought there's my next project. Well the bidding got way over my head. Something like 5000 dollars and more. If I had deep pockets, I'd probably own the car now, figure another 5 to 7000 for a full resto. Still not a bad price for what it could be. Ohio, like your Michigan is hard on these cars. tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Kapone,

If you are serious about wanting a car, pull up traderonline.com. You can search for that particular car anywhere in the U.S. I see these type cars advertised from time to time here in the mid-south. It's just a good weekends drive from Michigan. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I guess I got lucky. After searching for a 66 SS396 for about 2 years up here in buffalo, I thought for sure I would have to go down south to find one. But last summer I found my lemenwood yellow 66 SS396 about 15 mi. from my house. It was built in Fremont California, and spent most of its life in Florida. It has been "restored" once in its lifetime, and I am trying to correct all the injustices done to it over the years. The body is increadibly solid, and all the #'s match except fot the heads, intake & carb. The car came with a 92 LS-6 crate motor and the original 396-360HP on the side. I really got lucky because the seller was not a chevelle buff, he just liked big block 4 speeds, so I got the whole package for $7600 (what I think was a steel, this car could of went for nearly 10K). I almost bought a few cars before I found this one, and I am really glad that I waited!! Stick to your guns, and hopefully you will be rewarded!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Kapone, there are many strong 'vanilla' Chevelles out there just waiting to be turned into anything its' owner desires...if you cannot find the 'right' car in your 'minds eye', then stop torturing yourself and go out and turn that otherwise casual Malibu or Chevelle into your own killer looking and performing unique creation. Just a thought, but how about a trick 502HO in a 70' Malibu convertible - painted anyway you like and dressed with 17" wheels? Hmmmm......Have fun!

------------------

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses fellas. And thanks for the offer QAK, but call it tunnel vision, but I am in love with the 1970 SS's. And I have my hands on a 1970 "plain-jane" Chevelle, guy only wants $600
for the shell minus the drive train, I am not sure if I want to got that route. Yes it's a Chevelle, but it's not a SS<------!!!. (pondering) Maybe thas all It's meant for me to have. All you lucky guys get the "cream-de-la-cream" and I am forced to settle.
THAT SUCKS!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
kapone lethal
Slow Down! Most of these guys MADE their own luck. They may have gotten in a few years ago, when things were better, or they may have stumbled across a driven by old lady pristine SS, or they may have started with a basket case. But whatever, They having theirs' in no way takes away from you and the possibility that you will find your dream. You make your own luck.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
ACES # 00140

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx rick, makes sense. I am a patient person. And I feel as though whatever a person goes through there is a reason behind it. Right now I am in a "halo", with a broken cervical spine. But it didn'thinder me at all. I can still walk and I can still
function properly, by the grace of a HIGHER POWER. I will stick to my search, and hopefully with a little bit of networking I will find my backyard beauty waiting for me to rescue her!

------------------

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That mostly depends on the condition L89. Meaning, original? rusty? drivetrain or none? good glass or bad? I want something that when I get it everyone is thinking "MAN YOU ARE CRAZY FOR BUYING THAT PIECE OF SH*T"
But when I get started on it and the progress is showing, they all want to ride in it. I really don't have a price range, but I don't want to pay the premium that the seller thinks would factor into the future net value of the car. A body would be nice
A rough body and drivetrain would be cool too.
I am considering all possibilties. If you know of someone get the pffer and let me know.
THANKS FOR THE INPUT

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Well let me share this with u, The last 70 shell I bought was about 4 years ago, 396 350 4spd, bucket seat console gauge car, car was all there, had pans and sheet metal to die for,but the car needed every thing complete frame off, the restoration was a little over $16,ooo with me doing as u wanna do all the leg and research work and all the labor that I knew how to do, wat do suspect I paid for that shell?? If u answer this ? I will get to my point
L89

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well L89, I would have to say around ummmmm
$2-3000 maybe? And like I said, i have a guy willing to sell me a good looking needs to be painted, no motor, no trans, no rear-end 70 Chevelle for $600. I am considering this.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
$6000.00 my point is my friend is that good shells are getting harder and harder to find, u have been looking for 5 years, and the price keeps going up good deals on Chevelles are a thing of the past, youve got a lotta guys out there buying up shells as fast as they can find them, I do the same thing, if its a 69-70 big block car with a 4 spd and its reasonable I gotta have it, U sound like u really wanna do a car for your self so just do it, they will never b any cheaper a good place to look is subscribe to a sun belt antique custom auto trader I have bought my last 3 shells out of it, I have done 11 total and one Camaro, if u want to see some of the stuff I have done go to team main page and go to feature car of the month for april or may 98 there is a link to my web page there, I guess wat Im tring to get across is that if u are waitin for the deal of a life time, u may still b looking 5 years from now, do your self a favor get a car and start enjoying the fun, Good Luck, and happy hunting L89SEDAN

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kapone,
Keep looking!!!There are lots of cars out there that people have bought but don't have the money to restore them.I found a 66 chevelle SS with 396/325hp.It has everything original from the Am radio to the car jack.And no this car has never been restored.The only thing I don't have are the factory hub caps and wheels.I had been wanting a 66-67 chevelle for about 2-3 years.My bother came a cross a car orange,with flat tires,and some rusted body parts.He was not even sure if it was a true SS,but he knew I wanted it.He told me about it and said if I wanted it but that it was in real rough condition.I told him I didn't care that's what restoring is all about.Well I drove 600 miles to pick up the car.As soon as I saw the car I started looking for numbers.Not knowing if it was a true SS.I found out that everything matched from Ac,engine,tranny,starter,radio,bucket seats,console,and even power steering.And all of this was only $1500.00.When I got the car home everyone thought I was crazy.People told me that that car should have been crushed a long time ago.Like they say "One mans junk is One mans dream".

Take your time and know what you are looking for.
I saw two 66-67 chevelle SS in this guys front yard which looked like he want to fix them up but no money!!!Let me know if you are interested in 66-67.If not good luck!!

------------------

·
Registered
131 Posts
Kapone, don't understand where you are looking. I see ads all the time for '70 SS cars, anywhere from $2K - $20K. I know - that's my favorite year, too, and I own a nice one. They made over 50,000 of them. Keep checking all your available resources. This website is one of the best for used cars.

I think the Hardest Thing To Do is a decent restoration job. I have over $5K into my under-the-hood resto this winter (engine compartment and suspension) and the only labor in that is for the machine shop head and block work (porting, hanguing pistons, balancing, etc.) For what you describe, I don't think you can resto the car for less than $10-15K. These restos are a labor of love - you sure never come out ahead. But a "restification" would definitely be cheaper.

------------------
Stan Hanek
'70 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Stan (edited 02-23-99).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I have seen some ads but they were in Southern Cal, Texas, Fla, I am in MI, and thats a long ways, more than a week-ends drive. If you guys know of anywhere closer to Detroit let me know.

------------------

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.