Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on doing a pegleg swap out to posi on my old 10 bolter... how much trouble is it going to be, I've never done this before.... Going from a 331 open to either 308 or 256 Posi for gears to get some long range cruising performance... Have to drive it from AL to CA soon.... when I retire from the Army

------------------
'65 Maliblue 406SBC/PG TC #811
'94 Camaro 1LE (original owner)
'97 HD Softtail Springer

·
Registered
79 Posts
The first time you do it, is it kind of a pain in the butt. If you can remove the rear-end from the car, it will be easier for you to setup the gears in the long run. My biggest problem when I did my gear swap was spending so much time underneath the car, trying to do things carefully while laying on my side. I wish I had spent more time (and money) and removed the rear end from the car and just sat it on the bench while I did it.

I wouldn't personally drop from a 3.31 to a 2.56, 3.08 is more acceptable, but I'm really fond of 3.31 gears.

Read up on it, take your time, and have a good manual with you and you shouldn't really have a problem doing it.. Also, if you are going to do it in the car, try to jack it up as much as you safely can.

A good place to contact for help and parts is Randy's Ring and Pinion in Everett, WA; http://www.ring-pinion.com. The ratech diff kit in summit is also a good value, and comes with everything you need to swap the gears except for the outer axle bearings/seals.

Hope this was some help,

Wes

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
Randy's is a good place for help, but I do not recomend the Raytec kit. There are much better kits out there. Raytec's shims are not very user friendly and the bearings are usually not Timken. Randy's sells a good kit with the Timken bearings and a good set of shims. I also sell the same kit for $89. There are some tools you will need to do this job like a dial indicator and a hydraulic press. The pinion bearing will need to be pressed on and off a few times while you are trying to get the pinion depth right and you will need to change the carrier shims several times untill you get the backlash set right. crushing the crush spacer takes A LOT of torque and it helps to have a preload gauge to get the bearing preload set right. Take your time and pay a lot of attention to the contact patern each time you change a shim. The contact patern is the best way to set up a ring & pinion so learn how to read it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.