Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 Chevelle SS that I am thinking about upgrading to halogen headlamps but have a couple questions before doing so.
1) This is a 100% original car. Will this have a negative effect if I wish to show it.
2) Help!! I have had a lot of advice on modifications needed to achieve this and am not sure what to believe.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
David, You don't have to do anything in the way of modifications to put halogens in you car. Do they even make them for the four headlamp cars? Some of the manufacturers claim they use less voltage then the incandesants. They should just plug in to the existing sockets. They will work mmuucchh better and you'll wonder why you waited so long. Yes it will have a negative effect on the judging if its done on a points system.

[This message has been edited by chev64 (edited 04-08-99).]

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Go to Walmart, buy the 4 Halogens, bolt them on, save the originals. If you show the car where it is judged on points, before the show romove the halogens and replace the originals. When the show is over, romove originals and put the Halogens back in. Too easy. What is the maximum number of times that you may have to make this change in a year, maybe twice?

------------------

·
Registered
166 Posts
i had a 71 cutlass with the 4 headlamp setup. I went out and dropped $35 on halogens and it was well worth it. the stock lights don't really cut it by todays standards, especially with a stock charging system. my 140 amp altenator and halogens were definitely a nice addon. they just bolt right in to your existing headlamp retainers, and you can get them from nearly any autoparts store. and take DZAUTO's advice and just swap in the originals for the shows. when you see that deer on the side of the road 100 yards away, you'll be happy you put the halogens in

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Administrator
3,375 Posts
It depends on what you plan on doing with the car. About the only shows left that it would really make a difference is the high quality NCOA points shows.
I live in serious Bambi country and have a box full of sealed halogens, lucas and cibie's that go on everything I drive. My SS has the sealed halogens and I've done very well at shows. I just tell anyone who does point it out that the car just doesn't look right with antlers on the hood.
I also have t/a radials on the car as the bias follow every rut on the road.

On the other hand, you do mention 100% original and if you are not driving it long distances at night, perhaps it's not worth the change.

A note on various types. The sealed halogens will work just fine. The others (with replaceable bulbs) usually require a relay on the high beams as the current draw is enough to pop the breaker -- and THAT is genuinely scary. I would definitely not recommend that you go the relay route on such an original car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.