Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a quote online and it was $287 a year. How are you getting lower rates?

Frank

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Frank
I pay Hagerty about $200 for insurance on two Chevelles. My values on the cars must be lower than your quote. I keep them low, not to "retire" if I have a claim.
------------------
Doug, Chevl71
Team Chevelle member #625
Gateway Area Chevelle Club member CM028
(OO ss OO)
chevl71 homepage

[This message has been edited by chevl71 (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
For me I believe the stated rate was $7 per thousand for stock, $14 per thousand for modified cars. What rate are they charging you, and where are you located? Maybe that has something to do with it, as well as your age or driving record?

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, at age 40, no tickets or dents, and I said modified. I thought it would be a little less. Thanks for the replies. Any further info?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hagerty seems to be more understanding than other insurance providers with regards to their definition of modified. That becomes clear when you fill out their modified form which I believe is titled something like rod & custom worksheet. It seems to apply to heavily modified cars or race cars.

They typically employ the rule of thumb that 50 or more HP over stock is modified. I believe the max HP in 1969 was 375 so you've got to 425 HP to remain stock. Thing is, 1970 max HP was 450, so for that year you can go to 500HP. You'd think they might apply that HP rating accross the 68-72 years since their very similar, but they may not in most cases.

What specifically do you have in your car? You could probably get away with a slightly warmed over 454 (especially with a mild cam) and be able to claim the HP within the 50HP rule.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I pay 175 for 6 months for full coverage with the car apraised at 6 grand. That is about half of what it is worth. If you think I can save a bundle on insurance can you give me a phone #?

------------------
MY CAR
Stacey
67 chevelle

At sixteen I got my license. (One of the best days of my life.)

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
My price is $213 for both my Camaro and my Chevelle. On the initial stock or modified question I answered that they are stock. In the detailed description I told them they were Non original motors and aftermarket wheels and tires. Chevelle is insured for $13k and the Camaro for $15k. I think you probably need to rethink the stock/modified question.

------------------
Jeff Angerstein
ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 Pro Street
69 SSRS 396(427) 4spd
87 MC SS

My Chevs
My Favorite
There are two theories to arguing with women.... Neither one works!

[This message has been edited by ACE841 (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey BigDog, I have 650+ hp so I guess that makes it modified. Oh well. Maybe I can say it is stock, you know stock full of parts?

Stacey there phone# is on their web site www.hagerty.com

Hey Jeff, lets see 496, moser 9", etc, etc, those are non-original right? Ok then make mine stock. (I don't think they will believe me).

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi Stacey,

I don't have the number offhand, but the internet address is www.hagerty.com

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Recently I had a small claim with hagerties. All I needed to do was take it to 1 shop for 1 estimate. He sent them a couple of pix & check was in hand a few days later. I HAD concerns/wonders/doubts/?? about their claim service. Now I know that they are VERY upfront & reasonable.

------------------
Rick
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4
TC#00038
ACES#00140

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm paying 133 a year. They didn't ask about hp when I applied. I guess if you have a stock looking car you could probably get away with a high hp engine. As long as its under the hood
. they only wanted a couple of photos of the car no engine pics.

------------------
grnmachine1 grnmachine2 grnmachine3 interior grnmachineengine1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.